Spotting Scope Eyepiece Magnification Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

Spotting Scope Eyepiece Magnification Question

Post by Paul »

My spotting scope is a Pentax with a 20X-60X eyepiece. When I shoot prone, if I want to get an accurate view of where my bullets are landing, I have to set it around 25X to 30X. Unfortunately, at this setting, I can’t see the whole target when I shoot at multi-bull targets at 50 yards (like the A-23/5 for instance). I usually have to break my position once or twice during the match in order to move my spotting scope with my right hand.

Do most shooters do the same ? Does using a less powerful spotting scope lets you see the whole target and makes it possible to shoot the sighters and the record shots without breaking your position ? As far as I’m concerned, I have some problems to clearly see my groups with an eyepiece set at at less than 25X.

Thanks for your advice !
GaryN

Re: Spotting Scope Eyepiece Magnification Question

Post by GaryN »

Depends on the quality of the optics.
If the optics are GOOD, and you don't have mirage, you can see smaller holes than a similar power but less optically good scope.

Also depends on the caliber and the resulting size of the hole on the target.
A .22 hole is harder to see than a .308 hole, at the same magnification.

Also YOUR eyes. As you get older, the eyes don't see as good as they did when you were younger.
I probably can't see the target as well as when I was in college, so I would need more magnification than I did back then.

How far from the eyepiece is your eye?
The farther your eye is from the eyepiece, the smaller the field of view.
Position and shooting glasses will affect this.

In college, I used a Bushnell 20x scope (no zoom) to see my .22 targets at 50 yards.
This was NOT a high end scope with fantastic optics, but something that a college kid could afford.
Last edited by GaryN on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patriot

Post by patriot »

With the Kowa 821 using the zoom it depends on the magnification setting I'm using for the conditions and if I can get the scope set where moving my head brings all bulls into view. I try to position the angled lens piece more below my non-shooting eye than out to the left.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Don't get too hung up on where your bullets are landing. There is plenty of time to check that out after the 20th shot is downrange.

The primary use of a spotting scope in outdoor smallbore is to aid in wind reading. The idea here is to back the focus off of the target so that you are seeing what the mirage is doing between you and the target. Doing this you can still see your point of impact and get an accurate idea of the wind by looking at the mirage on the face of the bull you are shooting at. It takes practice but it is the only real way to read the wind downrange unless there are wind flags and they are not always accurate.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

gwsb wrote:Don't get too hung up on where your bullets are landing. There is plenty of time to check that out after the 20th shot is downrange.

The primary use of a spotting scope in outdoor smallbore is to aid in wind reading. The idea here is to back the focus off of the target so that you are seeing what the mirage is doing between you and the target. Doing this you can still see your point of impact and get an accurate idea of the wind by looking at the mirage on the face of the bull you are shooting at. It takes practice but it is the only real way to read the wind downrange unless there are wind flags and they are not always accurate.

Sage advice right there.

One of my wiser coaches once told me - "don't keep score while you're shooting - your scope only needs to be focused on the bull enough to differentiate where the shot lands."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Don't get too hung up on where your bullets are landing. There is plenty of time to check that out after the 20th shot is downrange.
I agree with you but as far as I'm concerned, a spotting scope is also used to click my shot group in the center of the 10 (doesn't always work this way but at least, that's what I try to do )