Scope power for NRA Prone Smallbore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ptf18

Scope power for NRA Prone Smallbore?

Post by ptf18 »

"Tempted" to set up my H&R m12 with a scope. I'll be shooting it in NRA Prone. Any recommendations about scope power? And reticles? I perfer the German #4.
Martin Catley

Re: Scope power for NRA Prone Smallbore?

Post by Martin Catley »

When I recently asked this the average was about 24X, to be clear I do not shoot in the USA. I hope you get the response I got.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Start out with 20X then work up to 35X as your hold improves or you learn to tolerate the extra motion relative to irons. I prefer a thin cross-hair but others like a small dot.
casadehusker

Post by casadehusker »

I use a Weaver 24. Had the 1/8 dot replaced with a 3/8...........for me it made the bit of pulse look smaller.
kameljock

Post by kameljock »

I also have gone to a Weaver 24X with a 3/8 dot.
be in the moment
mhampel

Post by mhampel »

It is nice to be able to see your shots on paper at 100 yards. I have a 14 power Unertl that I can do this with. But usually I use a 24 power Weaver.
OrlandoProneXgun

Post by OrlandoProneXgun »

I use a Weaver 36x with 1/8 dot. But at that power I can't see either the wind flags nor the grass below the target at the same time, which would help with a shot. 24x would let you do that. Something to consider.
ptf18

Post by ptf18 »

Thanks Fellows.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

patriot wrote:Start out with 20X then work up to 35X as your hold improves or you learn to tolerate the extra motion relative to irons. I prefer a thin cross-hair but others like a small dot.

This is exactly what I have done.

I began with a 20X, and then quickly switched to a 24x. I used the 24x for 4 years before witching again - this time to a 40X. I can watch the mirage sweep across the face of my target (actually, just a few feet in front of it).

FWIW, the 2015 Nat'l Any Sight Conventional Prone * Champion used a Unertl 14x, and a '56 Winchester M52.

You have to be comfortable, and able to hold whatever it is you're going to use.

*edited for Hap's sake
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

And the guy who finished 2nd in the 2015 NRA Any Sights Prone Championship was shooting a 24X Unertl. But it was atop an Anschutz 18xx action with a Lilja 4 groove barrel. Out x'd by Paul Nordquist. :(
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Colleagues,
In my experience it is generally true that the nut behind the butt wins the match, not the power of the 'scope.
Best,
Hap
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Mike Carter wrote:And the guy who finished 2nd in the 2015 NRA Any Sights Prone Championship was shooting a 24X Unertl. But it was atop an Anschutz 18xx action with a Lilja 4 groove barrel. Out x'd by Paul Nordquist. :(

So I hear... lol.

He's a crafty ol' Norwegian - slicker than lutefisk!

His prowess with the older equipment, is certainly one verification of Hap's comment above...
poor daddy x 3

Post by poor daddy x 3 »

I have both a weaver t-24 and t-36 . My favorite is a Leupold 6 x20 EFR . I am 50 years old and appreciate the clarity of this scope .
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I used two Leupold scopes for conventional prone. One in 24X at short range and one in 36X at 100. It worked great for me. You can see better at 100 and it does away with the need to adjust the focus from one range to another and click for elevation.

It takes no more time to change out the scope between targets than to make the other adjustments. It does require an additional capital investment of about $650, but then if money is a consideration you probably wouldn't have chosen smallbore rifle as a hobby.