KK500 trigger - how good is it?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cumbrian

KK500 trigger - how good is it?

Post by Cumbrian »

I still sometimes dream about a KK500, even if I can't really afford one and I'm probably not good enough for it to make a big difference to my scores. I just wonder if its trigger is the same as the KK300's - or is it better?. And is it adjustable? A fellow club member has a KK300 so I could try out the trigger on that. I am particularly interested in this one aspect of the rifle because I can't get my Anschutz 1800 trigger (single stage) to break as I would like however much I adjust it.
Tim S

Re: KK500 trigger - how good is it?

Post by Tim S »

Roger,

yes the KK500 trigger is adjustable. I don't think there has been a match trigger made in the last fifty years that wasn't under-adjustable.

As an aside, what can't you get the 1800 to do? I ran mine as single stage, and the break was very crisp and creep free.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
svensta

Post by svensta »

Well my KK500 is the first rifle I have used for competitive shooting that was not 40 to 50+ years old already.
So far I think the (mechanical) trigger is great and according to the manual can be adjusted every which way.
I have left it at the factory setting as it seemed amazing the way it was out the box. Might make it lighter
in future but for now it's fine. Not having played with the trigger settings and having used much older
equipment my opinion is limited to say the least.

I can't say the KK500's trigger it's better than the KK300 (not tried it, but should be just ask good?)
but the other members at my club who have snapped the trigger on my rifle have given comments in the excellent to brilliant range.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

Thank you very much for the information.

I suppose, at the risk of being boring about the rifle, my bench mark is the trigger on my BSA Mk 5, which is, firstly, very, very light and, secondly, breaks like glass, almost without effort, as though the mere thought is enough to release the firing pin. I have two 1800 barrels and actions, and the one I am not currently using is probably - somehow - better adjusted i.e. closer to my benchmark, so I must go back to that once I have used up the ammo that is batch tested for my current 1800. (The trouble with the BSA is of course the stock, for which I still have long term plans - very long term, I fear.)

Svensta,

Thank you very much for your encouraging assessment. I am more and more tempted, but perhaps the decline in the value of sterling will eventually make me be sensible and stick with the 1800s, which are certainly very reliable and which even in my hands have occasionally achieved pretty good scores.

Roger
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Roger,

The Internationals do have very crisp triggers. While there are newer and better designs, the Anschutz 5018 can be set very light, down to 50g or so, and can certainly break very crisply. I'd certainly persevere with the adjustment. If the factory service team are at Bisley this summer, they should be able to set it as you wish.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

That's a good idea. I might take the BSA along to show them what my ideal is. I suspect that the rolling cam action which BSA's trigger release mechanism utilises is inherently superior to the Anschutz's, but I don't fully understand how the latter works so I may be wrong.

Roger