FWB 2700 fluted barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ginga

FWB 2700 fluted barrel

Post by ginga »

Hi - I am in NZ, new to shooting and close to purchasing a FWB 2700 light rifle. This is the rifle that has been recommended to me as I am very small framed and have tiny wrists so lack strength (5'.4 and 52kgs). I have been using an old club Anschutz and had never tried any other rifle. To be fair, my wrist gets painful when I shoot more than two cards (26 rounds) but I enjoy the feel of the rifle when I fire. Last night I shot two rounds with a club members FWB 2700 light rifle and it didn't wow me. It was not set up for me, I just jumped in it to get a feel for the weight but she kindly allowed me to fire it. It felt "tinny" compared to the old girl i use and jumped a bit. Anyone happy to share their thoughts on the fluted barrel? would I be making a mistake? I shoot indoor but at some stage would like to try outdoor.

Thanks
Gee
Tim S

Re: FWB 2700 fluted barrel

Post by Tim S »

Ginga,

What you experienced is not uncommon; some rifles don't feel right. For some shooters the balance is off, others won't like the shape in the hand, others dislike the aesthetics. Which rifle is right for you is a personal choice. That said, if you have the opportunity, give the FWB another go. Maybe you got off on a bad start, and the rifle will grow on you. As far as I'm aware the 2700 light is the regular 2700 with a fluted barrel, and slimmer extension tube. Fluted barrels aren't that common, but do reduce weight, without reducing the external diameter.

If it doesn't, there are alternatives. If a standard Anschutz is too heavy, a gunsmith (preferably one with a proven record in smallbore work) could fit a lighter barrel. A 21in ( vs the standard 26in and heavy 27in) will be lighter, even with an extension tube on the muzzle to restore sight radius, and would place the weight further back. This is good because at 5'3" your arms don't reach that far. A smaller stock would also help, as most Anschutz wood stocks are sized for a 5' 8" Mr Average. My wife is your size and shot easily with an Anschutz 1807 barrel in a shortened 1811 Prone stock (2in off the button and 2in off the fore-end). Alternatively if you want to buy new, the Walther KK500 can be ordered with a 65cm light barrel (20mm dia vs 22mm for an Anschutz standard), and has a short stock. The Anschutz 54.30 would also be worth a look, although it''s a tad heavier than the FWB.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ginga

Re: FWB 2700 fluted barrel

Post by ginga »

Thanks Tim. You have given me plenty to think about, which is great. I will give the FWB another go, alternatively there is an Anschutz 54.30 that is available in NZ.

Cheers, Gee