Small bore prone scope-ring-reticle recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRay53txtn

Small bore prone scope-ring-reticle recommendations

Post by SRay53txtn »

I have started to shoot in small bore prone matches and am looking for some advise from you seasoned small bore folks (60 year old competitor).
I have my irons all set and I'm now trying to get my scope, ring, and reticle options sorted out.
These will be on my Anschutz 2013 Precise (square action).

I have a friend that is selling a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm EFR with Target dot and a local range member that's selling a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) Side Focus Target Target Dot; which of those two would be recommended for my small bore application? Or should I go with higher magnification and recommended reticle like 15-60x52 March (cry once category)?

Ring recommendations for the scope setup on my Anschutz 2013?

Thank you in advance for your highly valued opinions and recommendations!
patriot

Re: Small bore prone scope-ring-reticle recommendations

Post by patriot »

Many folks like dots, I don't. My brain tries to recenter it while I'm holding off.

Eye relieve can be a problem with an Annie in prone. Many of us use rails to help with position.

20x is a good magnification, but some experienced shooters like more. If your hold isn't solid or your brain chases after the cross-hairs, start out with 20x.

I us the Burris Signature rings to get the scope sighted in at its optical center. Scopes seem to behave better there. Burris may have started making Signatures in 11mm, but I've used the Weaver to Anschutz inserts. Ring height depends on your position. As I'm aging getting my head higher keeps my vision clear.

I like 1/8 clicks for smallbore. The Leupold Competition 30mm side parallax 35X fixed (one less thing that can introduce error) is a nice scope. The EFR scope is a good starting point.

Mark
beye

Post by beye »

One of the really good benefits to shooting a scope is instant feedback to your wind calls. 20X is barely adequate at 100 in good conditions. I would suggest a good variable with 24 to 32X or so at the top end to allow for as much power as most of us can use; it will be helpful at 100. You don't lose much accuracy with a good variable and none if you keep it on the same power as it was zeroed. I don't think you would find a 10-50 useful unless you are shooting the F class category. If I had to choose a fixed power and didn't have much experience with scopes in prone, I would choose the 24/25X as most shooters can learn to use that power fairly easily and bullet holes show up well at 100. I agree that 1/8 min. clicks are better for smallbore.
imac

Post by imac »

Thinking a little outside the square. . have a look at scope with kk reticle, you have shot with concentric circles for many years why not continue to do so.
I think Anschutz market them at a very reasonable price
stuann

Post by stuann »

A Weaver T-24 would be another option to consider.
Jeff Madison has scope rails: http://www.mwerksllc.com/rails-anschutz.php
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

I'll look at some of these options.
Thank you for the feedback - gives me some good baseline ideas.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

High power scopes are great when you have a stable hold, but can be a nightmare if you have a sizable wobble area. Many prone shooters use 20-24x with great success. In addition, the greater the power, the less of a field of view at 100 yards - so it is less likely you can watch the wind flags while sighting. Another factor is that its easier to crossfire with a higher power scope as you often will not be able to see your number board.

But, each shooter has individual preferences - so go to some matches and ask to look through some scopes. Reticles are personal preference, but if you have vision issues, a dot is sometimes easier to keep track of instead of fine crosshairs.

As for rings - I highly recommend Kelbly's. Pay once, cry once but you are not going to have to screw around with shimming, etc. I would use the 2 rings on the same dovetail on the front of the action if you are using a 2000 series Anschutz.

Regards
ken
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

I train with a Scatt and have to admit that I do have a bigger than I would like wobble area, working on reducing it.
I'm in the Sharpshooter/Expert category and have moments of decent hold and then later in the match start to fade. Irons are ok and I now have some decent shooting glasses that have helped. So far it's all position consistency and rushing my shots that cause me lost points (leaks outside the 10 ring).
The scope is for any sights category, I know Champions Choice has the Anschutz Rifle Scope KK50 4x-12x 44mm AO in stock and will look at one on Tuesday, since I'm still in scope exploratory phase.
I am really open to something that I could stick with for a while. Being an older shooter, I do some neck and eye sight line things to deal with.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

A 14x will not be worth your time and you will end up selling it a few months after you buy it.

If you want something that will be usable for some time, get a Leopold VX-III 6.5-20x variable. 20x will be good for prone and on the days of "Lesser Hold", you can dial it back to 18x or 16x. Leupolds are pricy, but hold their value and that model is in demand for 3-p shooters.

BTW, where are you located?
ken
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

Ken,
I'm in Nashville area.

Thanks to all for input and my options are open for this.
left360

Post by left360 »

Leupold can change the reticle in a scope for a fee. So if you think you need to try a different reticle or you get a fantastic deal on a scope and want to change the reticle, that is an option. The pricing varies a bit between scope models and reticle choices, so you would have to contact Leupold. I would expect somewhere in the $100 - $150 range but you would need to check for sure.
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

Picked up a local 6.5x20x40 EFR & set of Burris Signature high rimfire rings for a good price and figured while little high on price it would be a good starting point.
If I need to get height moved up I'll contact Jeff @ http://www.mwerksllc.com/rails-anschutz.php
Thanks ALL!