Cheek piece recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRay53txtn

Cheek piece recommendations

Post by SRay53txtn »

I have an Anschutz 2013 Precise that I've started to use/compete in small bore matches. The Cheek piece is a little uncomfortable when I rest my cheekbone on it. I don't mind reshaping it, however, looking for what profile or other cheek piece that works for other small bore prone competitors.

Thank you for any thoughts/insights you could provide!
Tim S

Re: Cheek piece recommendations

Post by Tim S »

I think cheekpiece profile boils to the shape of your face. Some folks like a square edge that gives almost bites in, and others like a more rounded curve. If you don't yet know what you would like, you might start by swapping the factory cheepiece for an offcut of wood. Pick something that's much the same size, thickness and shape. Then experiment with the shape of the edge and whether you want the side straight or contoured around your face.

Personally I like a fairly sharp edge at the front and rounded at the back because I have small cheekbones but a wide jaw.
Cumbrian

Re: Cheek piece recommendations

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim has given excellent advice. I raised this question in a slightly different way on this forum not long ago. I received some very helpful replies if you would like to check them out. I was coming from the older, rounded wooden cheek pieces, and wondering about the sharper edged modern ones. The angle of the cheek piece in relation to the axis of the bore can make a difference too, which means that shaping a wooden cheek piece at home is not entirely straightforward, as I can testify from experience, but it is still well worth your time and effort.

Roger