Redfield competition sights information requested

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rustymusket

Redfield competition sights information requested

Post by rustymusket »

Over the past twenty years of activities at Camp Perry, OH, and various collectors gun shows across the country, I have been fortunate to locate and buy two Redfield rear sight systems (an International and a Palma) and two Redfield Olympic hooded front sights.
The front hooded sights came with a few inserts, and I have found additional inserts at gun shows. Many appear to be duplicates.
The sellers of the rear sights were not able to provide any information on the sights or their use.
I have been unable to locate any information on the number and differences of the front sight inserts sold by Redfield with their Olympic front sight.
Where might I obtain the necessary information on both the front and rear sight systems?
RustyMusket
Tim S

Re: Redfield competition sights information requested

Post by Tim S »

BY differences in the foresight inserts, do you mean why the size of the hole varies?

Very simply the foresight elements come with larger and smaller holes so you see a larger or smaller gap around the target. This allows the shooter to find the most comfortable and reliable aim. Some shooters will also exchange the insert for a smaller or larger size to compensate for changes in ambient light; light reflects from the pale target background and changes the apparent size of the target. All manufacturers of target apertures sights supply a range of interchangeable inserts (elements to us Brits) for these reasons.

The inserts can be made from stamped metal or Perspex, where a chamfered hole creates the black ring. As with the size of the aperture shooters have a preference for the material. Perspex elements can be clear or coloured, usually pink, red, green, and orange. The idea of the colour is to make the target stand out clearer, and to tone down bright light.
rustymusket

Post by rustymusket »

Thank you for that valuable information. While I understand a bit about the sight differences, I am primarily concerned about product information from Redfield regarding the Olympic globe front as to the sight types and differences (tinted plastic and metal, either post or various-sized discs) which were included 'in the box', in order that I know if I have the complete set or which sight discs/inserts I need to make a complete set.
RustyMusket
rustymusket

Post by rustymusket »

I contacted the Redfield Co. for the desired information on the International, Olympic, and Palma target sight systems, but having been purchased by Leupold/Stevens in 2008, they weren't able to provide any assistance.
I have discovered a US company which offers reprints of old Redfield catalogs (www.cornellpubs.com) as well as many others.
They list Redfield catalog reprints from 1935-1984.
Can anyone suggest which of these might contain the desired information on the Redfield International, Olympic, and Palma front and rear target sights?
RustyMusket
NuJudge

Post by NuJudge »

Can I suggest you look for forums where people are still using them? You'll have to register to access the following, but that costs nothing:
http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/inde ... howforum=3