SMALL BORE LENGTH OF PULL QUERY

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

l_flake

SMALL BORE LENGTH OF PULL QUERY

Post by l_flake »

My daughter is currently shooting a 1903 with a measured length of pull of 13.25" and it is too long. I have found the tech specs on the Anschutz but have been unable to find anything on the Walther KK300. Does anyone have those specifications? Any information is appreciated. Thanks, Lance
oldrifleman

Re: SMALL BORE LENGTH OF PULL QUERY

Post by oldrifleman »

My daughter just got a KK300 Alutec and we set it up for a little over 12.5 which is as far we could go but it fits her really well.
j-team

Post by j-team »

l_flake wrote:My daughter is currently shooting a 1903 with a measured length of pull of 13.25" and it is too long. I have found the tech specs on the Anschutz but have been unable to find anything on the Walther KK300. Does anyone have those specifications? Any information is appreciated. Thanks, Lance
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I assume that's with the spacer removed?

Failing that you just need a nice sharp fine toothed wood saw... I have shortened one of these, it's not too difficult a job.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

It's a common complain that wood stocks are too long at the back for smaller shooters, particularly junior women. However wood stocks can be shortened fairly easily. Most alu stocks are shorter as standard. The KK300 alutex isn't the shortest, but I understand it can be shortened. A former British Champion had the butt carrier cut off, 15mm trimmed from the rear strut, before the carrier was bolted/welded back on.

The Walther bolt is also a tad shorter than the 1903, and is set further back in the stock which would facilitate loading.

The downside to very skinny alu stocks like the KK300 is that the triggerguard can foul on the sling in prone.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim S wrote: The downside to very skinny alu stocks like the KK300 is that the triggerguard can foul on the sling in prone.
Too right. I had to make a new guard for my Gemini stock precisely because of this problem, which was not entirely straightforward.
l_flake

Post by l_flake »

Yes, any spacers were removed. Trying to avoid cutting the stock, as it will fit my other daughter next year. Just looking at options for small bore outside of Anschutz before we spend a bunch of money.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I agree 12.5 in is about right out of the box. With creativity and a machinist i have one set at about 11.5 inches.
l_flake

Post by l_flake »

oldrifleman wrote:My daughter just got a KK300 Alutec and we set it up for a little over 12.5 which is as far we could go but it fits her really well.
Sent you a PM.
Andre

Post by Andre »

My shooting coach/junior club board member shortened a brand new 1907 because we had a shooter on the shorter side. I think he shortened it over an inch, it was still longer than my 1914 stock afterwards!

He sent over some pictures of the job. Starting on the chop saw to cut the piece off, then milling the end flat on the Bridgeport. He then lifted the Kurt vise off the table with 1-2-3 blocks, angled the head with the spindle parallel to the X axis travel on the mill and created the counterbore for the clamping piece. Then drilled and counterbored for the M5 clamping screw. it was quite the job, but she shot that rifle for two years and it's still big enough for most people to shoot.