Rifle weights - do they work?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Rifle weights - do they work?

Post by Giddaymate »

Just wondering what rifle weights are doing for people and if I should buy one for my Anschutz to get more solid holds. Anyone?
Tim S

Re: Rifle weights - do they work?

Post by Tim S »

You might look here: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... one+weight

Simply, weight will make the rifle more inert so it's less susceptible to movement, however weight will increase fatigue, and the extra weight may upset the balance of the rifle.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Tim nailed it. I loaned a pair of Anschutz stock weights to a friend and he turned around and won a state championship. Barrel weights like they use for air rifle could change the tune; might not be what you want. Anschutz has stopped making the stabilizer, but 10.9 has plans to produce their own.

Mark
conradin

Post by conradin »

I find putting barrel and front end weight on my air rifle and find it very helpful and completely stabilize my horizontal movement. But I was told that putting the weight on the stock butt is even more effective due to inertia. Is there any place I can read about weight usages and what is best? Would putting weight on the butt means there is no need on the barrel?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Weight at the muzzle will make any movement smaller (recoil for a smallbore), but it can make the movement harder to control. Weight at the butt seems to be added as a counter to the muzzle to bring the point of balance back towards the shooter.