Clear Plastic Front Globe Inserts

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomJ

Clear Plastic Front Globe Inserts

Post by TomJ »

Good Afternoon, I recently purchased a BSA Mark V with a PH rear and PH-1 front sight and need help locating sources where I can purchase a set of clear plastic inserts. I will eventually mount a scope on the rifle, but would like to shoot it with iron sights for the time being or as long as my 69 year-old eyes hold out. The rear sight aperture is adjustable (different size openings). Although I'm not new to shooting (Bullseye and Metallic Silhouette ), I'm new to smallbore rifle. Are the other options regarding the rear sight that I could try to make sure that I obtain the clearest sight picture. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Tom
Tim S

Re: Clear Plastic Front Globe Inserts

Post by Tim S »

Odd a Mk V shouldn't have a PH-1 tunnel. It's a shame as the standard tunnel takes 18mm Anschutz elements, as everyone and their dog makes 18mm elements. The ph-1 takes 9/16in or 15mm elements. These have been made in Perspex, but I don't know of a new source; some can usually be found on eBay but the aperture sizes are rather small by modern standards, the target being smaller in the 1950s when the PH-1 was introduced. Alternatively find an old Anschutz tunnel to replace the PH-1, however you may then need to find a taller foresight base; I'm assuming that whoever put the PH-1 on the rifle also replaced the standard high base for the correct low base, PH-1 tunnels being taller than Mk V tunnels.

As for the rear, it won't accept standard threaded Gehmann, Centra, and Anschutz irises without an adaptor. Be aware that adaptors might not be drilled true, so the rear aperture doesn't appear round; I have yet to see one that is. Gehmann do make runs of PH-threaded irises, but only for one or two of their products. Your current eyepiece has six holes from 0.03in-0.08in; holes two and three ( 0.04in and 0.05in) wil be the most useful, the others being a bit too dark or bright.

Beyond that book an appointment with a good optician one who understands how apertures work, and who doesn't just assume that good distance vision to see the target is enough. Then order a shooting specific lens; typically it's distance prescription (including clynidrical correction) + 0.50 to focus you a little ahead of the foresight. Normal spectacles rarely sit in the right place for aperture sights.