Are Anschutz prone to rusting?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Are Anschutz prone to rusting?

Post by zanemoseley »

I got a used 1907 at the beginning of the year, as best as I could tell there was no existing rust. I haven't shot it in a month and a half or two and pulled it out today from my safe in the basement which I have a dehumidifier and golden rod. The bolt has considerable surface rust on it. Here's the kicker, the bolt was covered with oil, way more oil than you would think would be needed to prevent rust. Granted my basement has more humidity than a house, ibwould think the golden rod and oil should have done the job.

I felt like the rear part of the receiver where the bolt travels had some surface rust so I took a 12ga brass brush and cleaned it with oil and patches. I also applied Barricade to the bolt and receiver.

So are Anschutz rifles any more prone to rust issues or do I just have crap luck.
kevinweiho

Re: Are Anschutz prone to rusting?

Post by kevinweiho »

Maybe it’s not the humidity causing the rust. Some people are known as “rusters”, have a higher pH in their sweat, and can cause rust on the bluing even though they have been covered with oil. I have used CorrosionX Aviation on my guns, stored them in bore stores cases, and I haven’t noticed any rust in one year.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If you mean the silvery bolt body, then yesthis will rust more easily than the rest of the rifle. It's not stainless steel, so needs more care. The rest of the barrel and action are more rust resistant, and will stay rust free for decades if protected and stored appropriately.

As above perhaps you're just a little more acidic, and your natural oils were trapped under the coating of oil.

Plastic pan scrubbers are ideal for removing a light bloom of rust without marking bluing.
rbs

Post by rbs »

I would like to recommend that you use a product that I have found that works best to prevent rust forming, even in the most brutal environment, EEZOX. Most likely will need to order online, it is near impossible to find on the shelves.
Andre

Post by Andre »

kevinweiho wrote:Maybe it’s not the humidity causing the rust. Some people are known as “rusters”, have a higher pH in their sweat
I believe you might've meant lower pH. Above 7pH is alkaline, lower than 7 is acidic. 7 is neutral, like water.

I've heard great things about using dot4 brake fluid on suppressor innards, the theory is the silicone based oil soaks into the metal surface deeper than any other oil, and it has very little water in it since water would boil in your brakes and clutch cylinders (if manual) and cause brake/clutch fade.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

Not sure what it will do for rust, but brake fluid absorbs water.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Andre wrote:
kevinweiho wrote:Maybe it’s not the humidity causing the rust. Some people are known as “rusters”, have a higher pH in their sweat

I believe you might've meant lower pH. Above 7pH is alkaline, lower than 7 is acidic. 7 is neutral, like water.
mea culpa, typo error...
Andre wrote:I've heard great things about using dot4 brake fluid on suppressor innards, the theory is the silicone based oil soaks into the metal surface deeper than any other oil, and it has very little water in it since water would boil in your brakes and clutch cylinders (if manual) and cause brake/clutch fade.
Silicone oils are known to protect steel and blued parts, but they lack corrosion inhibitors for long term rust protection.
beye

Post by beye »

I have owned Anschutz match rifles since the 60's and most other RF match rifles. My experience is that they are less prone to rust than most other brands I have owned. A specific rifle may be either more or less prone to rust from the same conditions.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Andre wrote:
kevinweiho wrote: ... the theory is the silicone based oil soaks into the metal surface deeper than any other oil, ...
Fluids do not "soak into" metals. Metal does not have pores, contrary to many ill-informed discussions.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Andre

Post by Andre »

nglitz wrote:
Andre wrote:
kevinweiho wrote: ... the theory is the silicone based oil soaks into the metal surface deeper than any other oil, ...
Fluids do not "soak into" metals. Metal does not have pores, contrary to many ill-informed discussions.
Pores or surface finish, however you'd like to view it is indeed real. There is no such thing as an absolute polish, even the bolts of Anschutz guns (especially when worn) have a rough surface on the microscopic level that will retain oil. Some materials are truly pours such as oillite bronze, and I believe some cast iron. Those will retain oil.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

zanemoseley wrote:I got a used 1907 at the beginning of the year, as best as I could tell there was no existing rust. I haven't shot it in a month and a half or two and pulled it out today from my safe in the basement which I have a dehumidifier and golden rod. The bolt has considerable surface rust on it. Here's the kicker, the bolt was covered with oil, way more oil than you would think would be needed to prevent rust. Granted my basement has more humidity than a house, ibwould think the golden rod and oil should have done the job.

I felt like the rear part of the receiver where the bolt travels had some surface rust so I took a 12ga brass brush and cleaned it with oil and patches. I also applied Barricade to the bolt and receiver.

So are Anschutz rifles any more prone to rust issues or do I just have crap luck.

If you are going to store your firearms for any length of time, you really should keep them dry - not oiled. Oil being lighter than water, will cause it to float on top of any attracted water, acting as a sealant, instead of a preventative. If you're shooting it with any regularity, there's nothing to worry about - keep a light coat of lubrication on it.
mrh1958

Post by mrh1958 »

Wax seems to work best for me and does not attract dust and grit like oils do, I never use oil on the exterior finish of any of my guns, only on moving parts that need lubrication
yana

Post by yana »

Never had rust issues with Anschutz. They're very well finished.
Silicones are nice, but nót for steel to steel contact!