Set trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Set trigger

Post by conradin »

Does anyone ever use set trigger (ie. two triggers setup) in 50m rifle? If you do, what is the reason for adopting it? Since I shoot free pistol I am used to set trigger, but I wonder if in 3P or prone will it help. Obviously I would love to hear from someone who is a whole lot better than me! (which would be most of you)
Tim S

Re: Set trigger

Post by Tim S »

There may be a few still using a set trigger, but only amongst those using older rifles, think 1970s and before: Russian Strellas, Tozs, Hammerlis, Valmet Finnish Lions, and the Anschutz 1413 to name a few. No major manufacturer produces a smallbore match rifle with a set trigger anymore. I think you asked almost the same question last year; http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... it=ballard

In short, no I personally don't think there is any advantage to be had from a set trigger. A 1/2oz release isn't useable for most shooters. Even in Prone where the rifle is very steady, it's just too easy to touch off a super light trigger, and the resulting 3 or 4, or even a miss will really hurt your score. A modern two stage will operate as low as is practical for prone and 3-P shooting in complete safety, and it will do so with faster so there is more chance that the muzzle is still pointing at the 10-ring when the bullet exits.

I believe that set triggers remained popular in 300M Free Rifle shooting for longer, but the slower lock time is offset by the barrel time being much much faster than in smallbore.
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

conradin,

I too like double-set triggers. I would love for someone to produce them for the Remington 700 series. Since no one makes them, I'm presently looking for a Canjar Single-set trigger for my 40X. I should have bought a few back in the '70s. But no,.........I was infatuated with the Hart 2 oz.s on my ground-hog, and 1000 yd. rifles.

Now, before someone gets all upset - and tries to tell me the evil of my ways, I already have two Hart 2 oz. triggers, one 1.5 oz. Jewell trigger, and one Canjar LP 1.5 oz. (light pull), and various 40X triggers. Except for one Hart, these are all in the cigar junk box.

What I really want is a double-set trigger for the 700 series.
Packrat1947
fa38

Post by fa38 »

I have double sets on all my offhand single shot Schuetzen rifles. The 22’s are shot at 50 yards and 100 yards the rest at 200 yards.
That said, I would prefer the trigger on my Anschutz 8002 air rifle to any of the double sets on the single shot rifles.