Anschutz 6834 / Centra 57 Startline / Gehmann Comp Precision

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Anschutz 6834 / Centra 57 Startline / Gehmann Comp Precision

Post by zanemoseley »

I need to setup my 1907/1912 stock Anschutz for this season. I will be running a Leupold EFR 6.5-20 for prone and kneeling but would like aperture sights for standing. I'll only be using the rifle for about 5 matches a year, the remainder will be practice with my air rifle.

So I'm not thrilled with spending $350 for an Anschutz set for such limited use. The Centra Startline 57 and Gehmann Compact Precision seem to be much more competitively priced options, I think they'll be closer to $250 for a set. Problem is there aren't a lot of reviews for either. Have you guys used or checked out either?
dezzick3

Re: Anschutz 6834 / Centra 57 Startline / Gehmann Comp Preci

Post by dezzick3 »

I use the Gehmann for prone all year round and I think it is a fantastic sight. The fine clicks and short base make it very versatile, it certainly seems of a higher quality than the Anschutz 6805 which I sold to fund the Gehmann. I have not used the Centra sight but a club member (significantly better than me and shot at Glasgow 2014) uses it very happily, it seems very similar to the Gehmann in terms of function but obviously the appearance is a bit different! For the price, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either sight.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I spoke with James at Champions Choice, he said both the Centra and Gehmann are both high quality sights just not as precise as higher end options. He didn't indicate either was any better than the other. I ended up going with the Centra 57 Startline and a Anschutz front sight, total was just about $235 and I added a set of aperture inserts.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I use the Centra 57 in all three positions and really like it -- great value.

Jason
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Does the Centra 57 have a windage adjustment knob on both sides of the sight like their higher end sights?
Jason

Post by Jason »

No, just the right side.

Jason
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Got the sights today. I'm very impressed with the Centra 57 rear sight. For the money I expected the knobs to be plastic but was thrilled to see they're aluminum. The clicks are very distinct and the mounting clamps are very secure. It doesn't hurt that it looks nice either.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

I bought several of the Centra Startlines for a junior program to replace some Anschutz units that were not providing good click and backlash results. Contrary to the comment from James earlier in the thread, I believe the Centra is better quality than the Anschutz models. I have also checked them on a dial indicator.

Mark Trew