Rear Sight Questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nickster

Rear Sight Questions

Post by Nickster »

Hopefully the pictures will come through. In the lower picture of the Gehman iris, do any of the extra pieces belong to this sight? That center ring is an aluminum disc with a plastic ring around it. And if so, where do they go?

The first picture is of the Anschutz iris, I need a spanner wrench to get it off the sight. The size of the nut or wheel or whatever you call it is .630". It appears the part that magnifies the target may not be working correctly, as in I can't get it to focus on anything. So where might one get a spanner wrench that size and where might one send it for repair, or is it worth fixing?

Excuse my ignorance but these are what came on the sights I bought and I want to try shooting highpower with these if possible.

Thanks.
Attachments
DSC00943.JPG
DSC00942.JPG
Nickster

Re: Rear Sight Questions

Post by Nickster »

Sorry, I see that this might be in the wrong forum. Please move it if necessary. Thanks.

Steve
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The top picture rather looks as if someone has decided to add a new-ish adjustable focus lens to a much older iris, one that perhaps was not designed for this.

The spare parts in the bottom photo look as iv they may have been removed from the iris in the top photo, I'd hazard a guess from when the optic was grafted on.
Nickster

Post by Nickster »

I thought the white plastic washer and the silver disc with the plastic ring around it went on the bottom sight, but maybe not. I don't have a wrench for the top sight so I don't think they came off that. What exactly does the little plastic ring and the silver disc do?

I know the one threaded piece is an adapter for an older eyepiece.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Nickster wrote:Hopefully the pictures will come through. In the lower picture of the Gehman iris, do any of the extra pieces belong to this sight? That center ring is an aluminum disc with a plastic ring around it. And if so, where do they go?

The first picture is of the Anschutz iris, I need a spanner wrench to get it off the sight. The size of the nut or wheel or whatever you call it is .630". It appears the part that magnifies the target may not be working correctly, as in I can't get it to focus on anything. So where might one get a spanner wrench that size and where might one send it for repair, or is it worth fixing?

Excuse my ignorance but these are what came on the sights I bought and I want to try shooting highpower with these if possible.

Thanks.
Hi Nickster
To answer your first question, the aluminium disc is from a Centra or Anschutz iris and is for holding your blinder. The blinder slips in-between the disc and the iris body. The disc fits to the front (closest to the front sight) of the iris just behind the two locking nuts. So in the picture it is with the wrong iris, it belongs with the other iris.

Second question - To dismantle the Anschutz iris use the C shaped spanner in the 2nd picture (lower right, again with the wrong iris) to loosen the front locking ring. You should be able to remove the magnifier by unwinding it from the iris unit.
Cheers
Martin
Nickster

Post by Nickster »

OK. I've never used a blinder so I probably don't have to worry about missing anything from the sight.

The spanner wrench in the lower picture is too big to fit the lock nuts on the AHG unit. I need to find one or two of the smaller wrenches to get it off.

Thanks.