FWB 600 - what can most likely fail?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AmBraCol

FWB 600 - what can most likely fail?

Post by AmBraCol »

Hey, guys. A FWB 600 came up for sale not TOO far away from me, but I've not had a chance to check it out yet. After some digging and probing the guy says it needs new seals. This system is (as yet) unknown to me so I"m curious as to what might be wrong OTHER than seals with a FWB 600. Is the compression tube or air chamber liable to corrode on the inside from humidity? Does anyone know what a set of seals would cost for this rifle? The pics show it to be in decent shape externally, it's the inside part I'm wondering about. I can pick it up for about $240 or so, but don't know if it'd be worth messing with or not.

Thanks for any input.
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.
kevinweiho

Re: FWB 600 - what can most likely fail?

Post by kevinweiho »

Paul, the FWB 600 does not come with the ratchet system found in the 601/602/603 series. Check the cocking linkages of the rifle to see if they are broken.

I would estimate a set of seals to be around $50-$70 + or - from FWB. When I resealed my 103 two years ago, I only found a very small droplet clinging onto to the piston seal and no trace of corrosion in the compression chamber, probably due to the periodic maintanence I gave the pistol. The 600 is a solid rifle and for $240 USD, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Always look for seal failure.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

The two seals that typically fail are the main compression seal (when you open the cocking arm you can see it on the piston that compresses the air. It's either black, green, or red and it's the big seal, there are two black rings there that typically don't fail. The other one that fails is the seal inside the valve chamber. When you open the loading gate, it's below the barrel and has 4 small screws holding it in. The valve sticks out and is struck by the firing pin. There are a few o-rings, but they typically last a long time. You can get replacements parts from our host Pilkington if you know what your need. They also do warranty and repair work on FWB's in case you don't want to try it yourself. Hope that helps.

ps. If the 600 is in decent shape other than the seals, anything under $500 is a steal!
AmBraCol

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, guys! It looks like I'm going to have to pass. Don't have time to drive over there and money's simply not there for such a project at this time. More's the pity, I'd like to get my hands on a decent 10 Meter rifle to go with my IZH 46M pistol.
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.