Lothar walther barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

glr1

Lothar walther barrel

Post by glr1 »

Any body tried their 22lr barrel?accuracy?i have an old rifle that could use a new barrel,limited budget project
Jimro

Re: Lothar walther barrel

Post by Jimro »

Ironically, I've used Lothar Walther barrels in air rifle (several) and a custom 9.3x62 Mauser but not 22 rimfire.

But, based on the quality of air rifle barrels and the 9.3x62, I can't imagine having any issues with a rimfire barrel made by LW.

Hope this is helpful.

Jimro
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

What I've been told is that the LW steel is very hard so machining is more difficult than a stainless barrel.
However, once they're run in they last a long time - they just take a while to run in...

Used more in centerfire where barrel life is important.

K.
j-team

Post by j-team »

KennyB wrote:What I've been told is that the LW steel is very hard so machining is more difficult than a stainless barrel.
They make barrels in both Stainless and CM steel. So you can choose whichever you prefer.

Yes, the CM is harder so more difficult (but only slightly) to machine and resists wear better. But, Stainless resists corrosion better...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I thinkthe stainless is a little harder too; it's not the 416 type used by most barrel makers.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Tim S wrote:I thinkthe stainless is a little harder too; it's not the 416 type used by most barrel makers.
I'll find out soon. I ordered a new barrel (stainless) from LW for my .223, there is 6-8 weeks for production, so all going well I should get in about 4 weeks.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Lothar Walther uses non-standard stainless steels for their barrels.

"LW50" is harder than 416, it is used for centerfire barrels.
"LW6" is used for rimfire.

Since LW uses the button rifled technique I expect that they really went to custom steel blends to they could get highly uniform steel in order to make highly uniform bores. The steel doesn't have to be so uniform to get a uniform bore using the cut rifling technique, which is why so many of the top competitors in High Power use cut rifled barrels (there are exceptions, David Tubb uses Schnieder Barrels which are pull button rifled, although Schnieder barrels have a reputation for using softer steel which wears quicker, and Shilen is also button rifled and I think still holds the most short range benchrest records).

Jimro
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

I purchased and used a 6.5x284 Lothar Walther drop-in barrel in my Savage F-Open rifle a few years ago and after around 150 rounds settled in and won a few matches with it and had nothing but high praise for it.