Ambidextrous rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Ambidextrous rifle

Post by conradin »

Other than the Walther KK500 that can be converted quickly from leftie to rightie, what are other models out there that can also do the same? I'm thinking of passing my rifles on to my nieces in the far future. For example, will a KK300 or 200 also works? If the option including getting an extra rightie stock I will also consider it.
My LG400e only takes 15 minutes to convert. Change the grip, and change the cheek piece, then unscrew the cocking lever and then screw it back on to the other side.
Tim S

Re: Ambidextrous rifle

Post by Tim S »

Conradin,

no, conventional bolt-actions such as Anschutz 54s, Walther KKMs, KK200s, KK300s, FWBs, Diana 820s, Suhl KK150s, Winchester 52s, Valmet Finnish Lions, Remington 37s and 40Xs, and Schultz & Larsens cannot be converted between right-hand bolt and left hand bolt quickly. The closest you will get swapping the handle for an extended cross-over/under like on your 1413 Supermatch. All these rifles can be adapted for left hand use with a new stock (or just a new grip/cheekpiece), but the bolt stays right-hand (or vice versa). You can't compare your LG400 to a bolt-action. Remember that most .22 bolt actions have the locking lugs in the handle, and rotate to lock into the receiver, which is solid opposite the handle. Your LG400 bolt does not rotate, so the handle can be moved. I believe that gunsmiths have cut/welded receivers and bolts from RH to LH, but this is a permanent and expensive conversion.

Even the front locking Bleiker and Grunig actions have the received shaped on one side for the bolt handle; the lug recesses may well be handed too. I suspect that the shape of the receiver would also prevent quick changes for Fortner straight pulls.

The only other truly ambidextrous bolt-action I can think of is the Barnett 10X, a very obscure British rifle made briefly in the late 1940s. It had a lever operated bolt, not dissimilar to your air rifle. The pre-war small-frame BSA Martinis, 12, 15 and 12/15 do have an ambidextrous action.
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

For converting the Walther KK300 and KK200 from left to right you only need a new right-hand grip. If you have an early KK200 with the simple wooden "post" grip, it is already ambidextrous (see picture). The actions itself are already right-handed (if you didn't order a left-hand, left action version, which cannot be converted to right)

The 300 cheekpiece can simply be turned 180 degrees and put in again, with some more possible variations, as you surely know if you own one. The 200 cheekpiece can be unscrewed and turned for rh shooting.
Attachments
Walther KK200
Walther KK200
Modena

Post by Modena »

Putting a leftie grip on a Kk300 does not make it left handed, the bolt is still on the wrong side.

Ive used a BSA Martini as a lefty, handedness was fine, maybe they were good in their day as a cadet training rifle but the one I used was a piece of crap. I didnt expect much from a fifty year old rifle.