SCATT Training Systems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dr Doctor

SCATT Training Systems

Post by Dr Doctor »

Link to SCATT Trainer In Question

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using a training system such as this one. I understand that it operates via dry-firing your rifle--and not actually shooting pellets. It is meant for training and is highly accurate. It can also reduce the amount of space needed to practice. You can set the target physically 5-10 meters away, and it can be programmed to resemble a target that is up to 1000m away.

Since I am interested in 10m air rifle, I will likely set it to 6-7 meters, and have it adjust out to 10m. I don't know if I have a full 10m in the area that I am looking to shoot (living room).

My other concern was that I will be using a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) rifle (Walther LGR). I will be cocking the rifle each time to shoot the gun, which is fine with me. But I am worried that continuously dry firing a rifle could harm the rifle. Is there any reason for me to be worried about that?

Thanks all!
bdutton

Re: SCATT Training Systems

Post by bdutton »

Lots of great information in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50054

I have mounted my scatt in front of a bullet trap in my basement and live fire air pistol and rifle all the time (as long as you are confident in your ability to not hit the scatt device). So using it with a single stroke pneumatic is fine.

You can dry fire if the rifle/pistol has a dry fire function too.

I love my scatt. I have the older USB style as well as the new MX02 although I have issues getting the MX02 to recognize the drop of the hammer for dry firing the .22 pistol.
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

bdutton wrote:Lots of great information in this thread:

I have mounted my scatt in front of a bullet trap in my basement and live fire air pistol and rifle all the time (as long as you are confident in your ability to not hit the scatt device). So using it with a single stroke pneumatic is fine.

I love my scatt. I have the older USB style as well as the new MX02 although I have issues getting the MX02 to recognize the drop of the hammer for dry firing the .22 pistol.
My main concern was if my rifle has or does not have a safe dry-firing mechanism. Maybe the Walther LGR was only meant to shoot live pellets. Don't know for sure. If anyone has information on the Walther LGR's ability to dry fire safely and reliably, I would much appreciate that.

Isn't the backboard of the SCATT target solid? Or is there a cut-out center that goes through the middle of the device? I don't think I would be comfortable live firing at my SCATT unit right away.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Dr Doctor wrote:
bdutton wrote:Lots of great information in this thread:

My main concern was if my rifle has or does not have a safe dry-firing mechanism. Maybe the Walther LGR was only meant to shoot live pellets. Don't know for sure. If anyone has information on the Walther LGR's ability to dry fire safely and reliably, I would much appreciate that.

Isn't the backboard of the SCATT target solid? Or is there a cut-out center that goes through the middle of the device? I don't think I would be comfortable live firing at my SCATT unit right away.

With the SCATT USB or Wireless the target is inserted into an opening of the down range receiver. So the only risk is hitting the sides if you are way off one way or the other. Certainly want to be careful and make sure your able hit the target without risk if hitting the device.

Not sure about the ability to dry fire or even wet fire (discharge air without a pellet). Some people say you should never do either if you are only able to reset the trigger by fully pumping the rifle.

Here is a link to a discussion about the LGR and dry firing:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=25174
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

I believe that the above case is true for the LGR. I can only reset the trigger with a full cocking of the rifle. Don't know exactly, since the rifle is coming in this week.

I certainly hope that I can use it with the SCATT system!

Thanks!