Using non single shot for competition

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Using non single shot for competition

Post by conradin »

Is it legal to use a biathlon rifle for 3P or 4P competition (CMP NRA ISSF-USA Shooting) as long as you feed it a round one at a time? Is there any physical change I need to do to the biathlon rifle to make it comply with competition? Rarely, but occasionally I did loan mine for the kids but it does raise the question whether it is within the rules.
In fact, for the matter, if you bring a regular Ruger 10/22 and use plain iron sight, feed one round at a time, is it still legal despite it is a semi-automatic?

I know, and have seen, people compete with a Pardini SP in a FP competition and it is totally legal. However, I don't know whether it works in rifle because especially if I do not know if the title FR and STR still means anything nowadays.
Tim S

Re: Using non single shot for competition

Post by Tim S »

I can't speak for US domestic rules, but ISSF rules prohibit magazine fed rifles (7.4.1.1). British Domestic rules allow magazine fed rifles to be used if loaded singly (NSRA 8.3.2).
conradin

Post by conradin »

My main concerns are also the old 1807 that has magazines in them
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

conradin wrote:My main concerns are also the old 1807 that has magazines in them
Under ISSF rules, it would appear that these would not be legal. 7.4.1.1 states single shot rifles only, and single loading only.

Edit - a cursory check of the US NRA Smallbore rulebook (conventional and metric) appears to allow magazine-fed rifle sunder rules 3.1 and 3.2.
Modena

Post by Modena »

You will find some rifles (like Anschutz 64MPR) can have a special red magazine dummy inserted which turns them into single-shot chamber load. So basically the rifle configuration has to be mechanically bound to single shot only.
beye

Post by beye »

Definitely legal in the U.S. Many older 52 Winchester models and Remington 37's still used; plus a host of intermediate quality smallbore rifles such as Rem. 513T, Win. 75, Stevens 416, Savage 19, Mossberg 44 and 144 -- plus others I have undoubtedly left out.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Here is the reply from Pete Carson from USA Shooting:

'Hello
In ISSF this would not be allowed. USAS does not have a rifle rule specifically applying to this (at this time). USAS does, however, have a rule for Free Pistol
allowing a pistol with a magazine.
"USAS 8.4.3.3A In USA Shooting sanctioned competitions, a pistol equipped with a magazine may be used but it may only be loaded with one cartridge at a time."
USAS can permit the use of these at the club level, as we do not want to discourage anyone from shooting.'
PCU

Post by PCU »

???
See USAS Rule 7.4.1.1 Single Loader Rifles.
conradin

Post by conradin »

PCU wrote:???
See USAS Rule 7.4.1.1 Single Loader Rifles.
This was why I asked him. I specifically pointed out 7.4.1.1