General Maintenance, Wood Maintenance, and General Operation

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dr Doctor

General Maintenance, Wood Maintenance, and General Operation

Post by Dr Doctor »

Hey all,

I recently purchased my first air rifle. I've been poking around--and I've recently passed up a good deal on an Anschutz 8001 Club in order to get my hands on the right SSP. I opted for SSP because its a lower pricepoint to enter the sport at. In addition, I do not have a place to readily fill compressed air; I also quite honestly think that a PCP rifle would be overkill for me at this time.

Since I don't know anything about anything, would anyone mind filling me in on a few things? I got a Walther LGR.

My main questions are as follows:
1. How do I make this gun last forever/what kind of maintenance should I regularly do? (I know that I will need to send it in for a rebuild/repair every now and again, but its something that I'd like to one day pass on to my own kids/nephews)
2. How do I keep the wood stock in the best condition possible? I don't want the wood stock to dry out or crack on me. What kind of oil should I be using to condition the wood? How often?
3. If anyone knows anything specifically about operating a Walther LGR, that information would be much appreciated. Jim E has already taught me a lot, but I'd love to learn everything that I can. Anyone have any tips?

If you can break explanations down into their simplest terms... That would be much appreciated. I'm still learning what all the specific parts/pieces are called. I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Thanks guys! Hope to start shooting soon!

Mark
Tim S

Re: General Maintenance, Wood Maintenance, and General Opera

Post by Tim S »

If the wood has a varnish finish a good beeswax furniture polish is best. Apply sparingly and polish with plenty of elbow grease. This can be done every few months, and the stock wiped with a soft dry cloth between times.
Rover

Re: General Maintenance, Wood Maintenance, and General Opera

Post by Rover »

Learn to do a rebuild yourself. It's not horribly difficult, mainly just changing O-rings and lubing pivot points. Occasionally put a drop of Crosman Pellgun oil on the main O-ring.