pistol pellets v rifle pellets

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

pistol pellets v rifle pellets

Post by Ltdave »

i noticed that somehow i accidentally ordered pistol pellets (RWS R10) for my daughter who shoots air rifle...

shes shot at LEAST a tin of them so far, maybe 1-1/2 of them before we noticed...

theyve been shooting really well! shes shooting hi 570s decimal offhand AND integer 3P. is there a huge difference between pistol and rifle pellets?

is it worth buying them again or should i make sure i get rifle pellets next time? im not going to hurt anything running them in the air rifle will i? they are 4.5mm and 45g. i notice that the rifle pellets are 53g...

the joys of trying to order on my phone v using a computer...
Jordan1s

Re: pistol pellets v rifle pellets

Post by Jordan1s »

Hello,

The only observable difference was the weight. Back when I purchased my first air rifle some time ago, I bought a bunch of different types of pellets to test, including pistol pellets. From my tests, I noticed that the pistol pellets did not group as well as the rifle pellets. Keep in mind, these are from my personal tests so your results may vary. I would say test your RWS R10 pistol pellets against the RWS R10 rifle pellets. If they group just as well(or better) then, hey, keep on using them.

-Jordan
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

my daughter said she shot the lighter pellets from way back when she first started shooting rifle (purchased in ohio at Champion Shooters Supply, off the shelf) but i dont remember anymore...

after the next big match, ill probably do some testing. shes shooting in the CMP 3PAR regional this weekend...
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is NO difference in accuracy between the light and heavy pellets. There is NO difference in accuracy between the different size pellets. The only place you will find accuracy differences is between various LOTS of pellets. The only way to find the MOST ACCURATE pellet is by PERSONAL testing.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If your daughter is nearing the end of the season, continue using what she has. Make no changes before big matches at season's end.

After the season ends you may want to choose a brand and get a tin of each size (yes size does matter in some rifles) and fire at least thirty shots with each size from a good rested position. Then aggregate the groups (plastic overlay and grease pencil, or the new Targetscan app), and see if there is any difference in her rifle.

You'll have left over pellets, but these are easily sold as a testing set to others who want to test their rifle.

Our club tested twenty or more rifles with five sizes of HN, Vogel, and Meisterkuglen rifle pellets, and every rifle showed a discernible preference for a size but not brand.

The biggest reason to do this is not the difference in accuracy, but the shooter's mindset knowing they have the best for their rifle (no excuses about ammo). Consider it part of the mental side of shooting.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

Pat McCoy wrote:If your daughter is nearing the end of the season, continue using what she has. Make no changes before big matches at season's end.

The biggest reason to do this is not the difference in accuracy, but the shooter's mindset knowing they have the best for their rifle (no excuses about ammo). Consider it part of the mental side of shooting.

she has the CMP 3PAR Regional's this weekend (with potential for the Championship in June) and end of April shell be shooting in the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix in Toronto. ill DEFINITELY have her continue on with these pellets. theyve been performing very well for her and its true, knowing (thinking) your "ammo" is the best it can be is a HUGE part of the game...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If possible chrono the pellets out of her gun ... if >600fps they are not legal.
If you have a rifle that is set for rifle at the high 570-580fps range, they probably are too zippy

Note: I've never seen a rifle chrono'd at a match though.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

jhmartin wrote:If possible chrono the pellets out of her gun ... if >600fps they are not legal.
If you have a rifle that is set for rifle at the high 570-580fps range, they probably are too zippy

Note: I've never seen a rifle chrono'd at a match though.
Joe Hein did some tuning on it last year at the Camp Perry Open and adjusted everything but probably with whatever pellets he had on hand. we sent the rifle with another shooter since we were unable to attend...

ill have to look and see if i can dig one up...
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

jhmartin wrote:

If possible chrono the pellets out of her gun ... if >600fps they are not legal.

Never heard of such a rule, please quote source.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Noted that shooter is shooting 3PAR.
See 3PAR RULEBOOk
4.1.7 600 FPS Velocity Restriction The 600 fps muzzle velocity restriction given for both Sporter and Precision air rifles is a guideline to preclude the use or proposed use of high velocity air rifles in the Precision Class because high velocity pellets could damage pellet traps and cause safety problems on many air rifle ranges. Competition Directors do not need to check velocities, but they may do so if the alteration of an approved rifle is suspected. Note: It is possible that air rifles producing velocities below 600 fps with lead pellets may produce velocities slightly above 600 fps when lighter, non-lead pellets are fired.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

Thanks for the clarification, not sure what kind of AR is the OP's daughter using, most European match AR such as FWB, Walther...etc are set @ m/v of 170-175 m/s, about 560-575 f/s, a lighter pellet can gain another 20-30 f/s and that will bring it quite close to the limit, the OP may want to keep this in mind.
Rover

Post by Rover »

This what "The Boss" says on the subject.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=17682
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

My Challenger 2009 grouped better w/ H&N Match Pistol than Match Rifle. Same head size. Whatever shoots best w/o being ticketed for speeding.