Unique opportunity to get a PCP... Is this a good buy?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dr Doctor

Unique opportunity to get a PCP... Is this a good buy?

Post by Dr Doctor »

Hey all,

I posted quite a while ago about breaking into the sport... Then I got caught up in some other stuff. Interestingly, I came across the opportunity to buy an Anschütz 8001 Club at a cheap price. Its being offered to me at 799$. Should I go for it?

Its exactly this model: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=009165

I have a couple questions:
1. What does the "Club" mean in the name of the rifle?
2. Is it made for younger shooters?
3. I'm 6'2", is there enough adjustability to make this rifle fit me?
4. Is Anschütz considered an amazing brand? (I ask this because they have some very pricey guns out there)
5. How does Anschütz compare to FWB and Walther in terms of reliability and performance?

I also know that the 8002 model and 9015 model are out now. The 8001 Club probably isn't the newest gun on the block, but I'm thinking it will do for a brand new shooter.

Thanks all,
Mark
CYS97

Re: Unique opportunity to get a PCP... Is this a good buy?

Post by CYS97 »

The 8001 is a good action, it's basically an 8002 without the absorber in the bolt. The word "club" is simply in the name to differentiate this version of the rifle from the junior version. The main difference between 8001 club and 8001 junior is that the club comes with a full length Anschutz cylinder and a rubber butt plate, the junior comes with a shorter air cylinder and a 4759 aluminum butt plate. The club can be used by shooters of any age, it is tailored more towards adults because of it's full length air cylinder, you can add barrel weights to the rifle should you feel that you need more weight, you can also add a bloop tube if you feel you need a longer sight radius. The rifle should be adjustable enough for you to tailor it to fit your height, if not Anschutz sells extra long aluminum rods for the 4759 butt plate carriers. I used an 8001 when I was being introduced into precision air rifle, it was a fantastic rifle. My schools rifle team owns six 8001's, they continue to perform like brand new rifles despite being used and abused by high school students year after year. As long as you take care of the rifle (clean barrel, clean air cylinder threads, lubricate o-rings) it should last you for a very long time.
conradin

Re: Unique opportunity to get a PCP... Is this a good buy?

Post by conradin »

High recommended. It is ambidextrous so it can fit anyone.