My KK500 has arrived (in California)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobB

Re: My KK500 has arrived (in California)

Post by RobB »

How will you be breaking in the barrel? My new KK500 should be with me end of next week (excited would be an understatement!). I've never had a new .22 rifle before so breaking in will be new to me.

It's replacing my original 1981 Anschutz 1813 supermatch that I bought when I got into this sport 3 years ago. No idea how many rounds went through it before I took over stewardship. Still shoots very well but I wanted the receiver nearer to me.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

RobB wrote:How will you be breaking in the barrel? My new KK500 should be with me end of next week (excited would be an understatement!). I've never had a new .22 rifle before so breaking in will be new to me.

It's replacing my original 1981 Anschutz 1813 supermatch that I bought when I got into this sport 3 years ago. No idea how many rounds went through it before I took over stewardship. Still shoots very well but I wanted the receiver nearer to me.
Rob - I'm not following any specific barrel break in procedure. I'm just going to shoot it. This will be my second new rifle purchased. I did the same with my Anschutz. I just shot it until I was in a position to send it to the test center for batch testing. My understanding is a significant break in process isn't really necessary for smallbore rifles as opposed to centerfire rifles.

Perhaps some have a certain procedure, but other than just cleaning it after each use I will not be doing anything special.
svensta

Post by svensta »

ShootWithStyle did you get a new cleaning kit for this rife or bore guide?
Will you just use what you have already?
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

svensta wrote:ShootWithStyle did you get a new cleaning kit for this rife or bore guide?
Will you just use what you have already?
Svensta - The KK500 comes with a very nice new cleaning rod guide so you won't have any issues cleaning it with whatever you may have currently.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Well, unfortunately the first day out with the KK500 did not go as planned. No, there is nothing wrong with the rifle. The conditions at the range however were less than desirable.

The range at LAR&R is undergoing major maintenance and improvements. We had heavy machinery (excavators, bulldozers) moving earth around down range. Once the machinery was out of the way, the wind kicked up so much dust and dirt it would obscure the targets at 50 meters.

I didn’t bother shooting a whole card. And I didn’t want my rifle being coated with dirt and dust unnecessarily. My front sight aperture was filled with dirt.

Anyways, the few shots I did get off were promising. Below are 5 shots using random Center-X. Four in a nice tight group and one high left from a change of direction in the wind. Hopefully this upcoming weekend will provide some better conditions.

RobB

Post by RobB »

Looks promising. Nice group. :)
May try Center-X myself. Used to use it in my 1813 until I had a batch that physically wouldn't go in the breach.

Not sure I'll be taking out my new toy if it was that dusty that it was obscuring the 50m target! Annual indoor range tidyup this Sat and long range fullbore shooting on Sun so may have to wait until Monday before I can get the KK500 out (should be with me this week).
mblatchly

Post by mblatchly »

Thought I'd share my KK500 story which includes a warning about the trigger!

On Thursday 7th April I arrived at my UK dealership (EMRR) to take collection of the KK500. The dealer spent time with me helping me to set the rifle up in the prone position. When we attempted to ‘dry fire’ the weapon it was immediately apparent the trigger was not working. The dealer and I checked the issue was not within the adjustment mechanisms but he eventually telephoned (I believe) another UK dealer who immediately asked what the serial number of the rifle was then explained that Walther had experienced problems with ‘at least’ the first 130 on the initial production run. Mine is number 500126! The dealer immediately telephoned someone at Walther in Germany who confirmed there had been issues and another trigger set would be sent by return and would arrive by Friday 15th April.
Today is Saturday 23rd April no trigger and EMRR say they are not convinced has been dispatched. This raises several questions:
1) Why did Walther allow the dispatch of a KK500 to a UK dealership knowing that it came from a batch that had known problems with the trigger
2) Why does the KK500 include a pre-shot target at 50m showing a tight group? Is this a forgery from Walther or is the barrel tested separately from the trigger mechanism shipped with the rifle?
3) Why has the trigger not yet been dispatched from Germany? Is this an administration issue with Walther or just incompetence?

Suddenly the Anschutz seemed like a better option as I have paid £3600 for scrap metal currently sitting in my gun cabinet!

Rant over - one day soon I hope the my KK500 will go bang!
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

mblatchly - Sorry to hear of your experience. I see in another thread your issue will hopefully be resolved soon.

I have number 166 off the line and all I can say is that it has performed flawlessly so far. I have no issues with the trigger and had not heard of any issues until yours.

The only problems I had heard of had to do with light strikes and inconsistent ignition when using Eley ammunition. I have only fired 100 rounds of Eley Tenex through my KK500, but all went bang the first time.

In total, I have only shot 356 rounds through my KK500 (100 Eley, 256 Lapua). Examination of the cases show a pronounced and deep indentation left by the firing pin. Far deeper and more pronounced than I've noticed with my 19 series Anschutz.

I would post some photos of groups and series I've shot, but nothing I have been able to produce so far would do the KK500 justice. Wind conditions at my home range have just been dreadful. The wind has been so strong the roof covering the firing points has been severely damaged.

But with more favorable conditions and proper execution, my KK500 just loves to shoot inner tens.

Hope you are able to enjoy your KK500 soon.

J.
mblatchly

Post by mblatchly »

That's great to hear and useful information on ammo - thanks. Yes, following my posts on Saturday evening UK time Ulrich Eichstdt from the Walther press office contacted me at 8.30am UK time today (Monday) and within an hour had spoken to the relevant folk in Germany and at 12.55pm UK time my UK dealer received an e-mail from Germany confirming despatch of the trigger with a UPS tracking number! OK I could moan about why I needed to go onto social media to highlight an issue that should have been resolved at manufacturer and dealer level BUT all credit to Ulrich at Walther press for making this happen. Hopefully will have a working KK500 after 3 weeks dormant in my cabinet!
RobB

Post by RobB »

Just thought I'd give an quick update. I Love this Rifle :)

Slightly longer update.....managed to put about 150-200 rounds down so far. Tomorrow will be the first weekend I've been able to shoot and have some 50m and 100yrds to do. So experience so far all at 25yrds indoor. Going on the last 8 cards I've shot my average is up about 1.7. Recoil is so much less (controllable and consistent) and don't seem to be getting out of position anymore. Both almost certainly down to the receiver being much further back than my 1813 meaning no lifting of elbow and barrel weight further back. Using the same batch of Eley match as used in my 1813.

Only change from what came in the box is the rear iris (switched for variable and filtered). I may fix some material to the cheek rest as our range can get like an oven (flat roof). My only really bad card (a 95) was due to my cheek continually sliding off the cheek piece with the sweat. My next investment to improve my shooting will be better fitness (been promising that for a while ).

No misfires and all the bad shots I could call before looking down the scope. Faultless so far.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

If I can come back to the original thread and deliver a fresh pic of the two trigger versions, mechanic (left) and electronic. The markings might have changed a bit since IWA show, but screws and function is the same.
Attachments
Abzug KK500 6_web.jpg
Abzug KK500 1 cmyk_web.jpg
rbs

Post by rbs »

can the electronic trigger be used as a single stage trigger? Are they available now and what is cost to upgrade?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:If I can come back to the original thread and deliver a fresh pic of the two trigger versions, mechanic (left) and electronic.
I notice that you have two photos there, with the triggers on opposite sides. Is the electronic trigger the red blade or the black blade?

EDIT: when I actually downloaded and viewed the photos, I could actually see the circuit board and wires on the one with the red trigger blade.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I would love to see close up photos and details and inside of the electronic trigger, it seems to be different to the LG400E and the SSP-E.
conradin

Post by conradin »

What is the projected basic price in the US for the KK500 electronic trigger version? Earliest delivery? Waiting list?
svensta

Post by svensta »

The video in not yet posted on YouTube but congrats to Torben Grimmel winning the 50m prone in Munich.
A 632.0 (top) qualifying and a 210.6 finals score is excellent!. I Imagine he did it with the KK500 he used in Rio.
Can't wait for the vid to get posted.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

svensta wrote: Congrats to Torben Grimmel winning the 50m prone in Munich. I Imagine he did it with the KK500 he used in Rio.
It looks to be the same, though it's now sporting a patriotic Dannebrog like his previous KK300 and 2313 rifles.

Ammo looked to be Centre X.

For those who are interested Emmons shot 600 integer scores in both elimination and qualification.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Now that I'm back from Germany, I've been trying to perfect the setup on my KK500 as i am making the full switch over from my Anschutz.

These are my first 10 sighting shots out of the shoulder in prone, after moving the last of my accessories over from the old rifle. These were small things like the spirit level, adjustable apertures, rear iris, filters, polarizer, etc.

If this is any indication, it will be a very nice piece for a good long while. And with Center-X too. The Center-X I have isn't even batch tested for this rifle. Just a random lot I bought off of a colleague.

I think Torben Grimmel has already proven the performance of the KK500 so I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Shame about that 9.9!!!

JV
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The 9.9 is clearly the rifle rebelling against that Bleiker brass weight!
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Tim S wrote:The 9.9 is clearly the rifle rebelling against that Bleiker brass weight!
Haha, Tim. That gold weight isn't actually specific to the Bleiker. I bought it ages ago from Shooting Equipment in Germany to use on my Anschutz Precise Extension Tube as a tuning weight.

I always put the front sight in the same place and I would move the weight incrementally using feeler gauges placed between the weight and the front sight base. It worked pretty well.

I still haven't tuned the KK500, but the weight is on there to try and slow the movement of the muzzle.

Even with the 690mm barrel on the KK500, the overall length of the system is shorter than my Anschutz 1907 with 660mm barrel. The weight is all in the back on the KK500 and my fore sight moves around a lot more.

JV