First Rifle Help -- Entering 10m Air Rifle at Mid-Twenties

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FaveDranco

First Rifle Help -- Entering 10m Air Rifle at Mid-Twenties

Post by FaveDranco »

Hey all!

I'll start off by saying that I'm taking my first foray into air rifles just now. I know that starting in my mid-twenties means I won't ever compete at the highest level, but I'm okay with that. I just want to pick up a new hobby before med school destroys my life. I've been doing some research, and it seems that the +1,000$ mark has a bunch of options, but the amount of options below the 1,000$ mark is kind of slim.

I was looking at the Daisy 753 as well as the FWB 800 Basic. I know that these two rifles vary GREATLY. The reason I'm deciding between those is because I know both of them will outshoot me when I first start. But I don't know how long the Daisy 753 will last before I start to get good enough to warrant a better rifle.

I'm leaning more towards the Daisy, simply because I can power it with my own elbow grease, and because its my first foray into the sport. Are there any other options out there? For a similar price point? That I may be missing?

It looks to me that ChampsChoice is the best place to pick up the Daisy 753. How is ChampsChoice? Good place to buy from?

Thanks a bunch for all the advice guys. If you have any suggestions on other rifles that I should be considering, please let me know! I want to consider all my options and make the right purchase. Have a happy and healthy start to Spring!

FD
Jimro

Re: First Rifle Help -- Entering 10m Air Rifle at Mid-Twenti

Post by Jimro »

What are your goals? To be a better marksman or to just blow off steam? Do you plan to shoot 10m?

If you plan to compete, even at the club level, you'll need to spend some money.

For less than a thousand bucks you can get a Hammerli AR20, Air Arms MPR and they will keep up with the FWB800 or other match rifles (I've been outshooting a few club members using much more expensive rifles with my AR20 for a few months now). As an adult you won't need 3 position adjustments for the stock as it is standing only.

As far as powering with your own arms, just buy a Hill pump and you can use your own arms to power the better PCP rifles.

Otherwise you should look for a used FWB 601/603, Anschutz SSP side cocker (SuperAir 2002) or other older SSP match rifle.

If you just want to plink, get a CMP refurbed Daisy for just over 100 dollars. The 753 is a great training rifle, but it is not a serious match rifle. If you do want something better than a Daisy 753 I recommend considering the Crosman Challenger. They are a very good rifle for getting started and have a much better trigger than the 753. You'll need a hand pump, but it is easy to fill a Challenger.

I hope this is helpful.
Jimro
FaveDranco

Post by FaveDranco »

Jimro wrote:I hope this is helpful.
Jimro
Super helpful! Thanks Jimro!

To clarify my situation, I do have a good amount of funds to put into this sport. I could go out and buy a FWB 800 Alu and all the gear/equipment needed. My reasoning for thinking of the 753 was just to have that plinker rifle going forward in the future. Something I can get started with... But also keep after I get a multi-thousand $ PCP rifle in the future. I would keep the PCP exclusively for practice/competition and the Daisy 753 is only a small investment to begin with, so I can use it to mess around in the backyard and whatnot.

I'll check out the CMP sale guns and see if I can become an affiliated member to access those prices. That seems like the best route.

I know that the 753 isn't a precision rifle, but even a sporter rifle will outshoot me at this stage in the game. And its only 100$ to have it as a plinker if I really pick up this sport and grab a nice FWB/Anschutz/etc.

Does that make more sense? Or should I still go for a higher end rifle? My long term goal is 10m shooting at competitions. But for now, I just want to get my hands on a plinker and get my feet wet with the sport.

Thanks once again Jimro!
FD
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was teaching my girl friend pistol shooting as her med school was approaching. Her father wanted her to shoot trap because she'd be associating with a better class of people.

He may have been right.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Sporter class air rifles make great plinkers because they shoot the cheapest pellets (wadcutters) fairly accurately, and are usually pretty comfortable and light weight. So if you upgrade to the FWB after trying the Daisy, you will still have a nice rifle to shoot in the back yard. However for 10m shooting informally you'll want to get some better sights and maybe even modify the stock so you can adjust the cheekpeice. Some cheap sight risers would be a welcome addition, too.
FaveDranco

Post by FaveDranco »

Thanks!

So you do think it's a good idea to get my feet wet with the Daisy 753? It would be nice to keep it as a backup backyard plinker. A 3-4k $ FWB may be in my future, but not right at this moment.

Daisy also seems like a reputable brand--something that if I kept it well and maintained it, I could teach kids on it.

I can also look into better sights or cheek risers!

Also, can you link me to the pellets that would work on it? Pellets that I should practice with?

Thanks!
FD
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

If you are going to get a CMP refurbed Daisy, don't do any modifications except the trigger mod. You'll be throwing good money away for when you want to get competitive. Unless you just want to tinker, then by all means tinker away. The Daisys are excellent trainer rifles, in training a marksman how to adjust their body to fit the rifle, but they are only adjustable for length of pull with spacers. When you step up to precision air rifle, that is not the case (absolutely everything is adjustable), you should already be a good marksman and now you adjust the rifle to be custom fitted for you. Need more weight out front or back? add some. Need a lighter trigger? Adjust it down. One stage, two stage? No problem. Even the trigger shoes are swappable to find the one that gives you the best, most consistent feedback.

But if you have the money, definitely get a Daisy because they are a great rifle just to shoot without going through the ritual of gearing up. I gave away a 953 to a shooting buddy of mine so he could get better in the standing offhand position (front sight set up with a post to look like his Service Rifle). I left the trigger heavy (because 4.5 lbs is minimum for Service Rifle). He appreciates how difficult it is to shoot accurately at ten meters no :) I also like to shoot a lot of "informal" matches with family to watch people smile as they make a soda can pop off a target in the backyard (and I have a niece who loves her pink BB gun and always loves to shoot). It is also good practice to sling up and work your prone, kneeling, and sitting positions too.

If you can get a FWB800 or Walther LG400 right now, by all means go for it. I shoot with teenagers here in Germany (12 years is the minimum age for starting air rifle) who regularly practice with air rifles of that expense and quality range. Honestly it isn't like they wear out, when something does stop working correctly it goes back to the repair shop and comes out ready for another several thousand shots or so.

These are my opinions, worth all that you pay for them of course, but I hope they are helpful to you.

Jimro
FaveDranco

Post by FaveDranco »

Jimro!

You're chasing me around this forum! And I greatly appreciate it. I love the dynamic of having a Daisy to start with. If something happens (loss of interest, busy life, etc.). I'll be glad I didn't drop a boatload of cash. But I also want the dynamic of having family/friends plink in the backyard. Or just having a rifle that I don't need to be 100% in the mindset/zone for practicing to shoot.

The fact that I can pick it up, shoot 10-15 pellets, and pack it up and put it away is the real appeal. I'm getting a cracking deal on a new 753, 225$. I know that's double what CMP is asking for. But as of yet, I don't have access to the CMP auctions/sales because I'm not affiliated with them or a club that is. I also would like to have one new, I find there will be an heirloom aura about. I definitely want to hand it off to my kids, nieces, and nephews. It would be really great to see them play around with it and learn to share.

I'm only in college now, so I have a long time before that happens. But I think picking up the Daisy is in my best interest right now. Plus it gets a rifle in my hands immediately. The lack of adjustability is almost a blessing in disguise.

What if I buy an FWB800 and find that I like a Walter or Anschutz better? That's a tough spot to be in--especially because I want to start shooting now and don't know what to look for in a high end rifle in terms or fit/adjustability/features.

If I pick up a 753, I can start shooting now, meet people with nicer rifles and hopefully handle a bunch of different expensive precision rifles. Then I'll have a great idea of exactly which high end rifle I want to get. If I were to pick between FWB, Walther, and Anschutz right now--I'd pick on what looks the "coolest." Oh god that would be a big mistake! :P

Thank you for chasing me around the forums!! You've helped me out a ton. I love this forum/community.

FD
pcctex

Post by pcctex »

My advice would be to buy as good a rifle as you can afford. Shoot it a while; then sell it if it does not meet your needs. If taken care of; quality air rifles hold their value a long time. I'm 65, just a plinker, and I just found a great used Anschutz 8002 S2. Bought it in a heartbeat. I can shoot it a few years, and get most of my money out of it when I sell it.

Best of luck with your new air rifle hobby. You will never be too old to enjoy it!
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

I have some first hand experience with a "sporter" rifle (CZ200T). I bought one for my wife to get started in 10M Target shooting. What a surprize! Two years later she is still shooting with the rifle. Yes, I worked on the trigger some, and also put some decent Anschutz sights on it. Then this year I changed to front sight tube for a longer one (aluminium) which increased the sight radius. All in all, I doubt if I have 600 US dollars invested.

She won the local women's league, and on a good day can match my scores with an Anschutz 9003.

Oh, just to make it more interesting she started competing at age 63, having never touched a gun of any kind.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Those 200s (doesn't matter who imported them) and Crossman Challengers are really great rifles :)

Someone wrote that with the removal of a single spring the Challenger trigger can be adjusted as light as a precision class air rifle trigger... But I'm not about to try that on mine since I still have two boys who need to get started in Sporter class once we rotate back stateside. I really should buy a second Challenger so that the boys won't fight over who gets the 753 and who gets the Challenger :P

Of course now that High Power service rifle rules are allowing optics, I'm not sure what the natural progression should be any more for my boys. At least when I put their service rifles together I used flat top uppers so at least they'll have the option...

Jimro
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

FD
From what I understand, you do not need to have CMP affiliation to buy the reconditioned 853s.

Although I would replace the 853 sights with something better.
I use the Gamo sights, sold under the Crosman label by Pyramid Air. The Gamo front sight uses standard Anschutz sight inserts.
If you don't care about regulation 3P, I understand that the Air Arms rear sight is much better than the Gamo sight. But their front sight does not use standard inserts, so I would not use them, unless you know someone with a lathe who could turn inserts for you.
moooose

Post by moooose »

Just two words of encouragement when you says "I know that starting in my mid-twenties means I won't ever compete at the highest level, but I'm okay with that...."

I started ISSF 10m Air Rifle in october 2013 when I was 51. In July 2014 I won the bronze medal in the Italian Championship, Master Team; in the Italian Championship 2015 we won the silver medal Master Team, this year we established two times the new Italian record. You see, it's never too late - and, most important of all, I had, have and will have a lot of fun.

Go ahead! It's a great sport - the only downside is that you can easily get addicted.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

If you apply yourself and spend a boatload of $$ there is no reason you cannot compete successfully.

As to what to buy, I would suggest you buy the best equipment you can with the possible exception of the suit. All the hard goods, (rifle, sights, scope, ect.) will hold their value better at the high end than the low end and you will have the certain knowledge that each and every 8 or 9 is not the fault of your equipment, it's on you.

Good luck and remember the three good things in life;

1. good food.
2. good sex.
3. shooting 10's in standing.