shooting jacket fix and modification

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

shooting jacket fix and modification

Post by Ltdave »

my daughter is shooting really well with her Freeland shooting jacket but its getting worn. shes ALMOST to the point of ordering a custom job (at least a lower end custom measure jacket) but in the mean time (which seems to be about 8 months lead time) she needs to make do with what she has...

there are 2 button holes that are showing lots of wear and tearing, primarily from the button hook. women's jackets have the buttons on the opposite side requiring counter clockwise rotation of the hook. the trim work on the button holes are not different from the mens and different direction catches the trim accelerating wear. question is: how much repair can be made on the holes and remain legal? there are only a handful of matches she shoots in that would call her out on this in inspection but of course those are some of the biggest matches! here is a picture of the worst of the two:

the next question relates to sizing and fitment. she's a bit busty and the "off the rack" fitment of the jacket works for the most part but the upper chest portion of the jacket leaves a LOT of excess material. can this excess be folded and sewn down for a trimmer fit? you can see it best on the left side of the jacket:

dc.fireman

Re: shooting jacket fix and modification

Post by dc.fireman »

Dave -

Out of curiosity, is she currently using a woman's coat? I was under the impression that they were cut to account for this, and the waisted portion of the coat sitting slightly higher than the traditional mens coat.

As for the button holes - I had to keep taking mine to a seamstress who worked at a Boating Supply store; eventually, even she ran out of ways to fix the coat, and I had to buy another.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

This won't help your cureent predicament, but why not make a new "ladies" button spoon to preserve future jackets. Teaspoons make a good donor.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

DC Fireman, yes she is using a woman's coat. It's just that this particular brand x (as are almost all off the rack coats) they fit the vast majority but not the small minority...
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I don't know if it is legal to fix the coat or not. I imagine it is not an issue. I would take the coat to a tack shop. In my area horses are popular with the Amish naturally. They have the equipment and skill to repair stuff like that.
Champions choice and champions shooters supply sometimes have trade in coats to get you through the season if you need a transitional solution.