Drop in Barrel for Anschutz 1913

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MarkTrew

Drop in Barrel for Anschutz 1913

Post by MarkTrew »

Does anyone make a drop in barrel for the round Anschutz action? I am looking for a light weight barrel about 21" long. I am in the USA.

Does anyone have any guidance for a source?

Regards,
Mark Trew
1813benny

Re: Drop in Barrel for Anschutz 1913

Post by 1813benny »

Mark
Not for the round action, only the 20xx series that clamp the barrel.
Ken
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Border Barrels used to offer DIY install barrels for 14-1900 Anschutz, but you still had to remove the old barrel (punch out the retaining pins, and whack the chamber end with a mandrell and 2lb hammer), then glue in the new, using an appropriate headspace guage.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

Thanks, yes I saw the Border. Does anyone have first hand experience with the new Border barrel outfit?

Mark
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Hi Mark,
I would have thought that being in the US you would have access to many fine barrels much cheaper than importing a Border from the UK... Lilja, Shilen, Benchmark, Kreiger, Hart etc. etc. all capable of producing match winning barrels.

If you're really intent on doing it yourself then I'd have a chat with Dan Lilja (or one of the others mentioned above) to see if they could supply you with a barrel ready to glue in. You'd still have to get the old barrel out though as Tim describes.

If it were me, I'd try and get in touch with Kevin Nevius who posts here occasionally. I believe he's smithed some very accurate rifles for various folk and is very approachable.
Personally, I think the extra you'd pay to get someone who knows what they're doing to install your barrel is worth the money and there are plenty of good rimfire gunsmiths in the US who could do the job. It just depends WHERE in the US you are...

Just my 2¢.

K.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I bought a Lilja 4-groove 16 twist barrel and had Howard Pitts put it in my 18xx action 2 weeks before Bristol. My old 1611 prone stock was bedded by Howard at the beginning of the year and I just dropped the 18xx in and torqued it down. It shot pretty good with the selected lots I bought for my 1611x rifle so I shot it at Bristol. Maybe if I had time to lot test I might have won the Any Sights championship but as it was I got out X'd by Paul Norquist and settled for 2nd.
Joe Farmer likes the Lilja barrels too. And he's been shooting pretty good.
Howard Pitts is a really good gun smith and a great smallbore prone shooter. If you'd like his information please reply.

My 2 cents as well.

All the best and good luck,

Mike Carter
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

The Sporter Benchrest crowd is having great success with reverse taper bbls about 21" long. Check out Killoughs Shooter Supply for in stock bbl blanks and the dimensions. You would still need it chambered and crowned.

I am using a sporter reverse taper Benchmark 3 groove on my Hall Unlimited BR rifle at the moment. I turned off the 'dog knot' and just use a conventional tuner. Shot really well at the last match. The sporter taper is quite small at the receiver and the bbls are very light. This would allow a position shooter a lot of leeway with bloop tubes or tuner/bloops and not end up with too much forward CG.

The Shilen ratchet bbls are also winning a lot of matches.

Good luck