Does the 1907 safety get pinched easily?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Does the 1907 safety get pinched easily?

Post by zanemoseley »

I shot my new 1907 in a 1912 stock this last weekend and it did really well, I shot a 498/500 prone with a bunch of different kinds of ammo. I typically never use the safety, my safety is an open action with a clear chamber indicator. But I noticed when I got home that the safety lever is stuck in the "F" position. When I first got the rifle used I took the action out, cleaned it and replaced it. I torqued the action bolts to 45 in/lb I believe which is what I read was recommended for the wood stock Anschutz models. I'm more curious than anything as to why it won't move, I really don't want to take it back out really but might at some point.
mtncwru

Re: Does the 1907 safety get pinched easily?

Post by mtncwru »

Might sound like a dumb question, but was your rifle cocked when you tried this? I seem to recall that the safety is not movable when the bolt isn't cocked.
zanemoseley

Re: Does the 1907 safety get pinched easily?

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I figured it out. I don't think it was pinched. I tried it again and couldn't get the safety to engage with or without the bolt cocked. I took the action out of the stock and still couldn't get it to engage although I'm not one to try and force things especially on such a fine rifle. Turns out it was just really stiff, it's possible that the previous owner didn't use the safety much either. I oiled the pivot points and it seemed to help some. Put it back in the stock and it works fine just stiffer than I thought it would be. Sorry for the dumb question.