San Francisco Ranges

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MikeLong

San Francisco Ranges

Post by MikeLong »

Trying to find out a bit about the smallbore prone scene in SF.
Moving there for work from New Zealand where I've been shooting for the past few years and rather than put the gear in storage would like to at least have the chance to get out and train on occasion but have been having trouble finding information on ranges in the area, most that I've found so far have been pistol or shotgun orientated

Cheers

Mike
grmdaddyo

Re: San Francisco Ranges

Post by grmdaddyo »

I'm sorry to say it's a bit dismal in the SF bay area. The politics of the LEFT COAST are making a concerted effort to close as many ranges in the Bay Area as is possible. There is a Biannual 1200 prone match held in Modesto, CA, about 90 mins from San Francisco.
Feel free to PM me, and I'd be happy to give you some local contacts.

GRM
conradin

Post by conradin »

There are now only two realistic long distance public rifle range available in the Bay Area, as there is NO range in San Francisco anymore (anti-gunnies). The closest range to San Francisco, also the only one on the Peninsula side, is Coyote Point, but it is not a proper rifle range. Outdoor night only.

East side of the Bay around Oakland, Chabot is would have been perfect but will be shut down in a year's time thanks to politics. Livermore-Pleasanton Club and San Leandro Optimist club only allow bench shooting, while United Sportsmen in Concord is currently under renovation due to dubious circumstances (message me for details, its my club). The only option you have is the private Richmond Rod and Gun Club. You need to find a sponsor in order to access the 200 yard range, otherwise 100 yard is your maximum, so it is good for small bore, and in a year's time, your only choice.

Circle S Ranch in North Bay (Petaluma) is the only range available, but for rifle it is bench only, so it will not help you.

The South bay is tricky because the ranges are so far away from San Francisco. The only other public multi-purpose ranges facility other than Chabot is Field Sports Park (Metcalf), but it is to the southern tip of the Bay Area that you may as well go to Sacramento area such as Yolo, unless you live in San Jose or Monterrey. The south bay does have excellent private clubs, Sunnyvale in Cupertino, and Los Altos in Los Gatos. Those two are your best bets. Both are 100 yards. Metcalf has 200 yards, but with an extremely restrictive opening hours. All three are good for small bore.

Almost all matches that I know of are held outside of the Bay Area. Our junior club usually attends one match per month, but mostly up in Sacramento area. We are exclusively a traveling team not by choice.

Be sure to send email and ask exactly the time and day and restrictions for rifle shooting for the ranges that I have listed here. Just because a range allows you to shoot 100 yards do not mean you can shoot in any position other than sitting on the bench. Or having a 200 yard range for high power rifle but only if you have to get sponsors to sponsor you in as a member, etc.
Last edited by conradin on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

If you are willing to travel we host regular matches in Los Angeles. We even shoot on electronic targets every 4th Saturday. And typically have one large match NRA Registered/Regional or State Championship.

Let me know what works for you, I run the Websight:
http://www.larrclub.org
unobvs

Post by unobvs »

We have an active 3 position rimfire league operating at this time each year on the Peninsula south of SF. If interested, PM me.

Lee
conradin

Post by conradin »

unobvs wrote:We have an active 3 position rimfire league operating at this time each year on the Peninsula south of SF. If interested, PM me.

Lee
i
Please correct me if this is Coyote Point.
MikeLong

Post by MikeLong »

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, managed to keep the work that I was heading over to do in NZ for the time being. Good news is that may head up to Sacramento in the future rather than in SF so hopefully a few more options up that way

Cheers

Mike