Let's talk about aperture sight options.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Let's talk about aperture sight options.

Post by zanemoseley »

Ok so I've almost got my used Anschutz 1907 in 1912 stock set up, just waiting on some rings to mount the Leupold VX3 6.5-20 EFR scope on the Champion Shooter's Anschutz rail. At my club the matches are any sight goes, iron or telescopic. I think I may consider running the Leupold for prone and kneeling but switch out to aperture sights for standing. I'm currently practicing with aperture sights in my basement at 10m on my FWB 601 and my eyes cooperate well enough most days.

Of course going on a Anschutz rifle I looked at their options first but I can't help but think they're a bit overpriced for what you get. The 6834-10 set is $350, something about the construction doesn't super impress me for the price, I can't tell by the pictures though if its 100% aluminum or contains some plastic. I also looked at some used sets on Ebay, seems you can get an old set for $150-$200 but they almost all have surface rust that seems common in these type of sights. Are these older sights good quality or have they been improved on over the years.

Also looked at the Centra Pro 57 and the Gehmann Compact Precision sights as well too. The Gehmann says its machined from solid aluminum and is only $143 for the rear.

So what's your take on the aperture sight market both new and used. It will probably be a couple months till I buy a set but i figured I'd start reading up.
Tim S

Re: Let's talk about aperture sight options.

Post by Tim S »

The standard Anschutz sights are perfectly serviceable. Yes there are other options that offer features the Anschutz sights don't, but the Anschutz product is not bad. The 6805 rearsight (sold in the 6834 set) is a time proven design, basically unchanged for decades. The body is largely alloy, with some steel parts, only the antiglare tube is plastic from memory. It is similar to the steel bodied 6702 and 6802 sights. Most are 1/6 minute, but you may find some 6805 and 6802 sights that are 1/12 minutes; these have 20 clicks per rotation of the turrets. I'm not sure you get a better quality product if you buy second hand; yes, the out-of-production steel rearsights are more durable, but the adjustment can lose accuracy through repeated use. You have some comback if a new product is faulty, much more than on eBay.

The top of the range Anschutz rearsight the 7002, is very popular. The Centra Spy is the flavour of the month, as it's slimmer than the 7002 (which Centra says lets you see wind flags more easily) and shorter, so it can positioned further forwards if needed.

As a less expensive option the Gehmann has had good reviews. The adjustment screws are spring loaded to reduce backlash. I believe the Centra basic is very similar.

I'd budget for an adjustable aperture rearsight eyepiece and a set of elements for the foresight.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I can get a Gehmann set for $200, the basic Anschutz set is $350. Is the Anschutz almost twice as nice? With the price difference I could almost get the adjustable iris, front aperture inserts and risers if I decide I need them.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If the Gehmann is that cheap, and that price for the rearsight is the same in dollars as it is here in pounds, why indeed get the Anschutz? My only caveat is that the Gehmann rearsight is rather wide, and the windage turret is quite low, so I have heard of the bolt handle catching for some people. With raisers, or the sight well forwards (if that suits), clearance should not be a problem.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

If you plan to shoot outdoors, I think you should give some consideration to how much of the view forward the sight blocks. It's important to be able to see wind flags and many rear sights (like the Anschutz) do not give good visibility forward.
imac

Post by imac »

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Yes you will pay a little more for brand/reputation but the elevation and windage adjustment screws are what makes you or breaks you. I've got an old 1960's rear Anschutz sight and it still functions perfectly.

What's the saying. .... buy once, cry once
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

I work with a junior program which allows me to observe many on the brands mentioned plus Centra. Our group finds, useage equalized, the Centra equipment has about 1/10 the concerns per shooter as other manufacturers. I also state, being in the US, we have zero exposure to Gehmann

Mark Trew
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

imac wrote:I've got an old 1960's rear Anschutz sight and it still functions perfectly.

What's the saying. .... buy once, cry once
Take care with the rear sights.

The threaded bolts wear with use and get to have clearances that modify the corrections.
From time to time you have to check them with a micrometer.