What length cleaning rod do you use on your Anschutz?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

What length cleaning rod do you use on your Anschutz?

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm getting a 1907 in 1912 stock, without looking too much I think its got right at a 26" barrel. What length rod do you like. I use a 36" rod on my Tikka T3 sporter with 24" barrel. Not sure if I should get the 36" or 40" Tipton Deluxe 1 piece rod.
Tim S

Re: What length cleaning rod do you use on your Anschutz?

Post by Tim S »

It's a 26in barrel, and the action is approximately 6in. If you remove the buttplate and cheeckpiece for cleaning (a good idea anyway to allow the rod a straight run), a 36in would be OK. My Dewey rod is 35in, and I had no problems with it in a 26in barreled Anschutz.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

You think the 40" would be better? Its actually $4 cheaper since its on sale.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I'm gonna go with the 36", I looked at my 24" barreled 30 cal with a 36" brush tonight and it's way long enough.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

A long rod is useful where the rifle has a fixed comb, as there's less chance that the rod will bend. With your 1914 stock the butt and cheekpiece can be easily removed, allowing the rod handle, and your hand to get much closer to the action.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I prefer the 4 foot version so I don't have to remove the cheekpiece. I clean after every session. It also helps to keep my hands out of the solvent. I long time shooting friend passed away with blood cancer this spring; why risk it.

Mark