Looking for SCATT help?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ryan Anderson

Looking for SCATT help?

Post by Ryan Anderson »

I have seen that quite a few people seem to struggle using electronic trainers like SCATT, so if you are one of these people or are just interested in learning more about the system, I just made a podcast about it with the help of Ohio State University rifle coach, Ryan Tanoue. Check it out at the link to the youtube video below (or if you're unsure about clicking on links on internet forums just go to youtube and search "ryan's shooting podcast")!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1zCMy ... jbka2AL4Zo
remmy223

Re: Looking for SCATT help?

Post by remmy223 »

Ryan your podcasts are great!

As you are using YouTube as your broadcast medium, have you considered using some diagrams/photos to help visualise what you are talking about?

Or maybe even going the whole hog and introducing some video?
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hello there

Thank you for the time taken to share your information with us. I would be interested in whether you think the SCATT MX2 is an improvement over the original or is it just evolution instead of revolution perhaps?

Thank you in advance
Andrew
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

Hey Andrew,

In some ways, I think it is a big improvement, where in others it doesn't make too much of a difference. If you've been using one of the older systems with the downrange target frame for 10m, then you won't notice a difference in performance or function. The only benefit in this circumstance is that it's less of a hassle to set up because the MX2 only has the sensor on the barrel and nothing downrange.

However, if you shoot anything other than 10m air rifle standing, the improvements are enormous. As far as I am aware, the older systems were limited by the downrange target frame, thus only working and close distances. Now, if you are a 50m shooter or even a 300m shooter, you still just attach the sensor to the end of the barrel and you're good to go, whereas before using the system AT ALL was not even an option for you.

Ryan
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ
GGibson

Post by GGibson »

I enjoyed your podcast and looking forward to more.

One of the skills you (and others) mentioned was important was the ability (in standing) to consistently enter from the same place at the top, slowly drop to the 10 ring without over travel and then executing the shot.

Can you recommend any sort of drill or training approach that could improve this consistency over time. I have a scatt.

Thanks again for you efforts
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

So getting that consistency in your approach really just comes with focusing on that one thing in practice and doing it over and over again while being very attentive to your movement. Unfortunately it isn't something that you'll improve upon without just putting in time and doing the repetition.
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ
GGibson

Post by GGibson »

Thanks Ryan,
Keep up the podcast.