Non-destructive pellet trap?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nester

Non-destructive pellet trap?

Post by nester »

I am looking for some ideas how to make a pellet trap which would not smash the pellets. Not that I am going to re-use the pellets, but I am (and especially my wife) not a big fan of producing lead dust.

Currently I have the box with duct seal putty - it works perfectly for the individual shots, but once hits start to accumulate around 10-ring - pellets start hitting each other, pieces of lead flying around, etc. etc..

Anyone can suggest a better setup?
(I am thinking about piece of thick heavy rubber (e.g. tire), free-hanging by the top. So when pellet hits the bottom part - it will not penetrate it, but lose energy to swing the rubber, and then just drop down)

This is what I have in the beginning:

And this is in the end:
Dan Ide

Re: Non-destructive pellet trap?

Post by Dan Ide »

My trap, which gets used for pistol, rifle, and has a place for silhouette targets is backed by a thick piece if industrial conveyor belt, hung at a slight slant. It drops the pellets pretty much straight down. Very quiet, and very little spatter.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why do you guys have so much trouble accepting the fact that a box of rags is the best (quietest, cheapest, and cleanest) pellet trap?
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Rover wrote:Why do you guys have so much trouble accepting the fact that a box of rags is the best (quietest, cheapest, and cleanest) pellet trap?
Always trying to reinvent the mouse trap.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Rover is right. After building all kinds of trap over the years, it took his advice in an earlier post and filled a box with rags and I haven't looked back.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:Why do you guys have so much trouble accepting the fact that a box of rags is the best (quietest, cheapest, and cleanest) pellet trap?
Because I find beating a 10ga steel plate flat with a sledgehammer every few years is a good stress relief.
peashooter

Post by peashooter »

Well I've done the rag thing and it does eventually require attention. I also needed a really compact solution. I found that a lead plate made from melted down pellets and at least 5mm thick works very well. I have it in a thin box with some cardboard over the front, which contains the pellets which eventually form into a ball and just fall off into the box. Quiet. Set and forget.
nester

Post by nester »

Thanks everybody.
Indeed, ammo brick box filled with 1 old t-shirt worked perfectly - no lead, no mess.

Here is the new pellet trap:

And this is after 200 shots: