Is this air rifle modification Legal?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bdutton

Is this air rifle modification Legal?

Post by bdutton »

My daughter prefers the feel of the forestock of the FWB 800 but owns a FWB 700.

I took the forestock of an 800 and put it on the 700.

Here is what I am talking about:

Would this be a legal modification?

ETA: The reason I am considering this modification is because of the accuracy and balance of the 700 has been tuned for her and I don't want to buy a new rifle if I don't have to.
jhmartin

Re: Is this air rifle modification Legal?

Post by jhmartin »

OK ... drag out your rulebook and a ruler.

The only thing that will get you is 7.4.4.1 (D).
Go to page 345 & 346 of the current ISSF rulebook and look at the drawing and the table on the next page.

From center of the bore to the bottom edge of the forend must be equal or less than 90mm.
(91mm or more then nope. The templates used at the major matches check this)

Pretty sure that won't make the weight go above 5,5kg.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhmartin wrote:OK ... drag out your rulebook and a ruler.

The only thing that will get you is 7.4.4.1 (D).
Go to page 345 & 346 of the current ISSF rulebook and look at the drawing and the table on the next page.

From center of the bore to the bottom edge of the forend must be equal or less than 90mm.
(91mm or more then nope. The templates used at the major matches check this)

Pretty sure that won't make the weight go above 5,5kg.
Thanks... and yes I did check the rule book on that because of the 90MM rule. I am more concerned that it may be interpreted as a palm rest.

She had put a Anschutz Fore-End Raiser Block 4856 on the stock in place of the original 700 forestock which met the 90MM rule but it was pointed out to me that it too closely resembled a palm rest and it would not be allowed.

I just reattached it to take a picture and noticed that it was just a tad over 90mm (93mm).
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

The whole no palm rest on an air rifle rule always perturbs me.

Isn't that what it is essentially? Each air rifle has one from Anschutz to Walther. It's a palm rest that we use while standing with the air rifle. It just can't exceed a certain depth.

I've seen more than a few shooters actually take the "not a palm rest" off of their air rifles and use them on their smallbore rifles for offhand shooting.

Maybe they'll get you for it not being the part that originally came with the rifle. Is it wider than the stock of the rifle. If I recall there was a limit on the stock dimension (width) as well. Maybe the "not a palm rest" can't exceed that width. But when I think about it I think the stock LG400 piece is wider than the actual stock.

I guess you might just have to wait for EC at WAG to find out.

Joe
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Looks absolutely fine to me as long as it is 90mm or less from the centerline of the barrel.

Marcus
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

bdutton wrote: She had put a Anschutz Fore-End Raiser Block 4856 on the stock in place of the original 700 forestock which met the 90MM rule but it was pointed out to me that it too closely resembled a palm rest and it would not be allowed.
I'd like to know who told you that (you can email me or PM me)

As ShootWithStyle noted, if it is significantly wider than the stock, then yes. Note an Anschutz 2002CA rest IS wider than the stock and it's allowed ... about 1/8" on each side.

The 4856 probably is too wide. ... Note I've built a custom one for my daughter's gun because the stock 2002 one lacks about 4mm. I took a Champions Shooters Supply "36A BR Block", BenchRest Block, trimmed the sides to the rifle width and sanded down the flat surface to get to 90mm. Absolutely no different technically than the factory supplied palm riser. It has passed numerous USAS and ISSF inspections.
What ISSF did not want are the really deep handled ones.

Note Champions may not always have them in stock, but if you call they can make you up a few ... I use these a lot to make custom height palmrests for the smallbore guns too.
Rachel has one for NCAA, one for Benning and one for the OTC. They are ugly, but do away with the infernal adjustments. And cheap ... about $25 each for me to make.
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/p ... 190512.jpg
(Of course it's a shameless plug for UNL!)
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

My 4856 forend riser block is much narrower than any of my three others, so if it is too wide then the whole industry has an issue.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

mbradley wrote:My 4856 forend riser block is much narrower than any of my three others, so if it is too wide then the whole industry has an issue.
What do you have the riser block on ... SBR? he was using on an air rifle.
If it's narrower than the stock (on the airgun) then it should be no issue ... no issue at all on a SBR
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

The other pertaining rule is 60mm forend width. Measurment I. Can a 30mm wide forend be offset within the 60mm width? Another way to think about what im suggesting is within 30mm of the centerline?

The original question is pretty straight up..if its legal on the 800, its legal on any gun, even a different brand. As long as within the measurements.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Thanks for pic. I havnt seen "Fabio" in awhile. My adaptations are even uglier. Pretty is as pretty does!!