Sling pressure PICTURE

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Sling pressure PICTURE

Post by Giddaymate »

Im pretty happy with my hold these days, however I get very tired after about 20 shots. You guys think my sling is too tight (picture)?

Tim S

Re: Sling pressure PICTURE

Post by Tim S »

I don't notice those marks myself. I wonder if you have enough protection under the sling. Does your jacket sleeve reach to your wrist? Are you wearing a long sleeved top underneath? When the edges of the sling can bite the arm, because the jacket sleeve is too short (often a problem for tall skinny shooters wearing off the peg jackets) it quickly becomes painful.

Also are you sure your undergarments are smooth, and not rucking up? I pull the cuff up over the cuff of my glove, so there are no creases under the sling. On the same line, is your glove the right size? I've seen over large cuffs flod under the sling. A very slim built friend used to replace the elastic at the wrist of his gloves to ensure a smooth fit.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Doesn't look like an entirely happy state of affairs to me. Never noticed anything like that in my own case, but I have both an Anschutz Coldwinner garment (thinnish) and a Sauer cardigan (thick) to protect both arms, as well as a Thune canvas jacket with an excellent amount of Topgrip on the sleeves. The inner garments also have padding on the elbows, which really helps in that area.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I've shot a lot of prone with just a t-shirt and mitt and never get marks, seems like my sling goes over the back of my mitt not further up like like yours. My hand does tend to get a bit numb after a 40 shot string, not sure if that's from the sling around my upper arm or the pressure on my hand.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

zanemoseley wrote:I've shot a lot of prone with just a t-shirt and mitt and never get marks, seems like my sling goes over the back of my mitt not further up like like yours. My hand does tend to get a bit numb after a 40 shot string, not sure if that's from the sling around my upper arm or the pressure on my hand.
The marks in the photo don't look much too low in terms of placement. It's not recommended to have the sling much higher otherwise it squashes the wrist knuckle, and the palm bones, under the knuckle and over the bsse of the wrist and phalanges is much more comfortable. I suspect there is a difference between a match rifle and your CZ. Both in the physical weight of the rifle, and in the sling tension necessary to steady it.

As an aside, the sling should never be so tight around the upper arm that it restricts bloodflow to the hand. The hand has enough to manage, pined between a 12lb+ rifle and the sling. The sling cuff has to be slightly loose to allow blood flow to the hand - remember the main artery runs down the inside of the arm. The standard advice us to leave enough room to fit three fingers between your arm and the sling cuff.