butt plate

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dontshootcritters

butt plate

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys

I have a GE600 Evo stock on order and I was interested in suggestions for a butt plate. I only shoot prone but like the idea of a butt plate with a hook. Obviously there are retailers to look at on line but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has found something recently to be really good or on the other hand something to stay away from.

Kind regards and thanks in advance
dezzick3

Re: butt plate

Post by dezzick3 »

Oh I'm rather jealous, love the look of those stocks! I'm a big fan of the Anschutz Retro, a remake of the 'Armadillo' buttplate of yesteryear. It's a very simple design, the most adjustable part is the hook which is excellent. It gives me excellent shoulder contact and was very easy set up myself. Cannot recommend it enough.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Best in my opinion is the Grunig extreme. Pricy , but worth it. Very solid, very adjustable, great contact that stays put!

Tenring
dontshootcritters

Thanks so far. I like the Grunig the best from what I have seen available. Pricey!
dontshootcritters

I would be interested in possible suppliers of the Extreme butt plate if anyone has suggestions of reliable retailers.

Thanks again in advance
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

System Gemini.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim S wrote:System Gemini.
I agree with Tim entirely. It is excellent once correctly set up. And no more expensive than the Swiss one(s).
dontshootcritters

Hi guys.thank you for the responses. The only thing I don't like about the Gemini is its presence[ a lot bigger] than the G/E. Maybe not as refined looking also.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

No, the Gemini is not the thinnest. If sleek looks are a priority, the Grünig butts may be your best bet or perhaps the Anschutz Retro, although once you shoulder the gun, the perceived proportion of the butt changes.

I like the Gemini for the facility to position to two halves of the plate separately; not everyone needs to, the plates can be set vertically in line, but for me offsetting the heel and angling the toe allows a better fit.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Tim S wrote:I like the Gemini for the facility to position to two halves of the plate separately; not everyone needs to, the plates can be set vertically in line, but for me offsetting the heel and angling the toe allows a better fit.
I'm with Tim on this point -- non-shooters think my prone buttplate is a torture device but when in position it's perfect for me. And as for looks, it comes in all kinds of different colours and if you ask nicely you can likely match it to your shiny new stock.

Jason
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I also agree with the Gemini butt plate. It takes some effort to get right, but once it's right it will lock into the same position on your shoulder and you'll be able to feel if it isn't.

It isn't any thicker than the Anschutz 'Armadillo' butt plate.
dontshootcritters

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to go with the G/E Extreme butt plate. Read all the reviews of each mentioned one so thank you for that. I found a very detailed review [from over your way I think] called something like Shooting the Breeze. The reviewer had a very detailed account od the Extreme which was very good.