starter rifle for prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dupe34

starter rifle for prone

Post by dupe34 »

Is the anschutz 1903 a decent starter rifle for prone or should I just go for a 54 action rifle.
Romellio

Re: starter rifle for prone

Post by Romellio »

Not only are most ranges not conducive to non-bench-rest shooting (i.e., prone) because they have fixed tables at every station, some of them have too steep an incline for prone shooting. I tried shooting prone at one range in Nevada, and found it impossible to get into a low position, as recommended by this article. I would much better shoot prone with a sling than to shoot from a bench.

Last edited by Romellio on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

dupe34 wrote:Is the anschutz 1903 a decent starter rifle for prone or should I just go for a 54 action rifle.
Possibly. The 64 is a lighter action, and a little less refined than the 54. However for juniors these are advantages; the rifle is not too heavy, and it's more affordable than a new 1907, 1912, 1913 etc. If you are a large adult man, the 1903 may be a little light, but it's accurate, serviceable, and you won't tie yourself in knots endlessly fiddling with the butt or cheekiece. If and when you decide you want a fancier rifle, it can be sold and the money put towards its replacement. Responses to similar questions suggest that in the US the 1903 retains its value fairly well

However if you can find, and afford, an older Match 54 rifle, this may be a better long term purchase. A Match 54 Prone rifle, like a 1411 or 1811, is less complex than the latest Supermatch, but is built around the same basic action and barrel (the bolt gubbins and trigger vary with age). Barrels can be replaced, sights etc upgraded, which would not be economically viable with the beginer 64.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim knows far more about rifles etc than I do, so this is just my two pennyworth. I have been through the whole business of starting out with a first rifle - an Anschutz 1407 but a late model with the adjustable two stage trigger of the 1800 series and beyond, which is desirable - and then moving on to an Anschutz 1800 barrel and action in a Gemini stock (expensive). The 1407 is not ideal for prone because the thick, sloping fore end puts the hand rather far away from the barrel's axis, the cheek piece is not adjustable, and the butt plate has very limited adjustment, all of which, but particularly the last deficiency, in the end made me dig deep and invest in the Gemini. I would suggest that you spend as much as you can afford at the outset. An 1813 Supermatch or an 1811 (prone only) Anschutz ought to be relatively affordable compared to my Gemini or other fancy stock, though I see that all second hand Anschutz rifles fetch more in the USA than they do in the UK.
patriot

Post by patriot »

If you are able to restore a stock and bed an action yourself, an older Anschutz (141x, 161x, and 181x) can be a real bargain. And every once in a while a great deal on a safe queen can be made.

Mark