Which jacket for Smallbore & High Power

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Which jacket for Smallbore & High Power

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm in the process of selling my CZ 452 and upgrading to a Anschutz 1907 in 1912 stock for next year's season. Thus far I have yet to use a shooting coat/jacket but am thinking of getting one for Christmas. I have the intention of buying a National Match AR-15 next year and possibly enter a few high power matches so I'd like a coat that is good for both matches. I have no intention of participating in any AR matches as they're non-existent in my area.

I assume I want straps instead of buttons as the straps may offer an advantage and they're NRA legal. I know a lot of people use the the Creedmore hardback jacket but wonder if its overkill for smallbore. Should I consider their Lite version of the heavy jacket as a compromise.

As far as budget, custom made is out, I'd like to be about $300.
Shooterer

Re: Which jacket for Smallbore & High Power

Post by Shooterer »

I use Creedmore jacket for both SB & HP. I have a heavy Hardback with leather sleeves, cloth body, lower zippers and no mesh.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I forgot to mention Champions Choice jackets. I had one years ago and it worked well.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx
beye

Post by beye »

Creedmoor all leather with side vents is what works for me. Works well for both disciplines. I find smallbore to be more difficult than highpower (I'm sure that will cause some comments, but...) and I need just as much support, if not more than when I'm shooting HP.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Having shot both across the course and the ISSF events, I have tried both kinds of jackets. If you're only going to shoot prone, the Creedmoor Hardback is fine, but I would never suggest it for any other position. This is my reasoning: The concept of an NRA legal coat is to essentially be a corset for your entire torso with the idea that being "strapped in" will make your hold better in standing. The negative of this is how little range of motion you have in position. It sounds a bit counter intuitive, but with an increased range of motion and a bit of freedom, you are able to get a fundamentally more stable standing position because you can use your bones instead of the coat to provide stability. The first time I shot highpower after training smallbore, I was amazed at how small my hold was, and how annoying having the constriction of the coat was. The main difference was that I had a position that I couldn't fake my way with. Also training significantly more probably helped...
Personally the only hesitation I have with shooting Highpower with a ISSF coat is the buttplate on a service rifle chews up the rubber in the shoulder. Monard probably has the best highpower coat on the market right now, but it is custom made so out of your price range. In your price range I would look at one of the Creedmoor coats, the "ISSF Leather Coat" from Freeland, one of the off the rack Monard Coats, or an off the rack Gehmann coat. Keep in mind that in NRA shooting you can make the coat as tight as you want, so you don't need to abide by ISSF rules on that area if you decide to go with an ISSF legal coat.
I agree with Beye... Smallbore is harder.
Matt
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well I got lucky and noticed that Creedmoor was having a 24 hour holiday sale, $50 off their hardback coats. My mom is getting it for me for Christmas. They're going to let me add options so I'm trying to decide which I want if any. Possibly the ventilation and all position zippers.
beye

Post by beye »

If you are going to shoot positions other than prone, zippers are good to have.
22long64

Post by 22long64 »

You may want to look at McKenna Shooting sports. He has designed a coat with Monard for a near custom fit and a reasonable price.