Anschutz 54.30 or 1913

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

streetglide

Anschutz 54.30 or 1913

Post by streetglide »

Dear sport friends,

My Name is Hans and I am from the Netherlands.
In a couple of weeks I can get my first rifle. I’m a small bore target shooter so I want to buy me a brand new Anschutz.
(second hands are hard to find)
But I don’t know what rifle suits me best.
I like to shoot 50meters prone.
My intention is to shoot matches, in the beginning local and if I’m good enough national.

Nowadays I am shooting with a club rifle, a very old 1970 Anschutz.
But its shooting very well and I can get 550 rings.
But I have to say, the trigger is questionable and does not fit my hand well. ( and it’s not adjustable because the screw is bad and i can’t make my trigger finger longer :) ).
The main thing is, when I have to load the gun my right arm is completely overstretch.

So when I buy a gun rifle I want the best fit for my euro’s.
So last weekend I went to the gun store. And I ask them for advice.

They say there are 2 options,
Anschutz 54.30 or an 1913.

And now I’m wondering does that 30mm make a big different in loading a rifle?
It is worth the extra 600 euro?
KennyB

Re: Anschutz 54.30 or 1913

Post by KennyB »

Hi Hans
From what I'm hearing, you may have to wait until next year to get a 54.30. I doubt that they will be widely available any time soon.
If you are stretching to load the older Anschutz then it might be worth the wait though.

Also consider the Walther KK300 which is a very good rifle and the KK500 which you will also have to wait for as it is still in pre-production - but it will also be easier to load.

If you are rich then the Grunig Racer 3 is another excellent rifle - not too much more if you get the wooden CS stock, and the waiting list isn't too long (I believe).

I'm surprised you can't find a second-hand Anschutz though. That's what I would be looking/waiting for.
Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy new just yet.

K.
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

My gun dealer told me that the 54.30 will be available at the end of this year.
So i dont mind waiting for it even when it takes a bit longer.

A secondhand target rifle is hard to find.
If one is available its a 1903 or 1907. And i want a super match. Because im a big strong man.
Or just the rifle looks like &€@/ (not oke)

And indeed walther is also an option. But my gun dealer say that service parts are hard to get.
Even when germany is only a few km away.

The kk500 is over my budget.
The kk300 is ugly blue.

But thanks for THE reply!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hans,

you don't say what stock you have with your current Anschutz, but you may find the 1913 in the 1918 or 1913 wood Supermatch stock easier to load. These have the action 2-3cm nearer the grip than some of the older wood stocks, especially the 1411 and 1407 models; this makes the 1913 a little easier to load. The 1913 trigger can be positioned further forwards, or further back, than the old 1400 triggers. The shorter bolt of 54.30 should make this even easier, although probably not as easy as the KK500 or Bleiker/Grunig.

As you are currently shooting c. 550, I would also suggest asking a coach, or an experienced shooter, to look at your shooting position. You say you are a big man; normally tall adult men have long arms, and can reach to load. For example I'm 185cm tall but have no problems loading a 1913. However if the butt is too long (something often done by new shooters), loading can be difficult even for tall shooters.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Hans, I get the impression that if any DO appear before the end of the year, they will be going into the hands of German National Squad, International Shooters or people who pre-ordered in May.

What I'm hearing over here is that our importer/distributor may have 10 rifles allocated to them in April. I hope that's wrong.
There is a lot of interest so I'm sure the first production run will disappear fast.

The KK300 also comes in nasty silver...
I know of at least one shooter who sold his Bleiker with a view to getting a KK500 when they arrive - he bought a KK300 as a stopgap and it shoots pretty well.
I'm not aware of any problems getting Walther parts - or not anything worse than anyone else.

K.
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

Tim S wrote:Hans,

you don't say what stock you have with your current Anschutz, but you may find the 1913 in the 1918 or 1913 wood Supermatch stock easier to load. These have the action 2-3cm nearer the grip than some of the older wood stocks, especially the 1411 and 1407 models; this makes the 1913 a little easier to load. The 1913 trigger can be positioned further forwards, or further back, than the old 1400 triggers. The shorter bolt of 54.30 should make this even easier, although probably not as easy as the KK500 or Bleiker/Grunig.

As you are currently shooting c. 550, I would also suggest asking a coach, or an experienced shooter, to look at your shooting position. You say you are a big man; normally tall adult men have long arms, and can reach to load. For example I'm 185cm tall but have no problems loading a 1913. However if the butt is too long (something often done by new shooters), loading can be difficult even for tall shooters.

I'm more like a fat basterd with short arms. :)
i dont know what model Im shooting with, but i found a picture of it. it also have a hook at the end.

there is 1 coach at my club. He gives me tips and tricks when he is around.
I can not change the rear end because the rifle is also used by other shooters.
Attachments
2927964.jpg
2927964.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

KennyB wrote:Hans, I get the impression that if any DO appear before the end of the year, they will be going into the hands of German National Squad, International Shooters or people who pre-ordered in May.

What I'm hearing over here is that our importer/distributor may have 10 rifles allocated to them in April. I hope that's wrong.
There is a lot of interest so I'm sure the first production run will disappear fast.

The KK300 also comes in nasty silver...
I know of at least one shooter who sold his Bleiker with a view to getting a KK500 when they arrive - he bought a KK300 as a stopgap and it shoots pretty well.
I'm not aware of any problems getting Walther parts - or not anything worse than anyone else.

K.

maybe it was a bit scary talk of the salesman at the store when he say about the parts.

but you were right about the question when it’s getting available.
When it’s on the market, and when it’s on the market for joe the plumber?

Thank you all for the input
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hans,

That's a model 1407, it's the 1970s version of today's 1907. If you compare this (or a 1907) with a 1913 you'll see the bolt and breech are further from the grip on the 1913. I have seen shooters with short arms struggle to load a 1407. A 1913 in either the wood or aluminium stock would be a little easier. The 1913 stocks are also lower, which helps further. The KK300 bolt is about 1cm shorter than the Anschutz, so easier again.

I understand about club rifles that don't quite fit. Even without sharing the rifle, you can't make the 1407 shorter without a saw (assuming there are no wedges between the stock and buttplate). The 1918 precise stock is also much shorter than the 1407, so you could bring the rifle nearer.
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

today I tried a 1913, and Im sold.
feels wonderfull. but now i have to wait 4-6 weeks

thank you all for the input.