Best Book for Improving Offhand Technique

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomJ

Best Book for Improving Offhand Technique

Post by TomJ »

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm looking for a book that will help me with my offhand technique. I understand that The Way of The Rifle is viewed by some as the bible, but have heard that it looses some in the translation. Are there better books or is the best The Way of the Rifle. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Tom
GaryN

Re: Best Book for Improving Offhand Technique

Post by GaryN »

I like 'Ways of the Rifle."
I use the photos as I read, so I better understand the text, and have had no problems understanding the book.

The book makes it clear that there is no ONE best way.

When I started reading the book, I quickly saw the difference in the stance, with a vertical forward leg, vs. how I was taught, to spread both legs evenly. As the book implies, whatever works for YOU.

I have not read other books, so I cannot compare it.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

"looses in translation" is funny, because this was done by Bill Murray, who is a well known australian Rifle coach and who lives since decades in Germany. He is working together very closely with Heinz Reinkemeier, and so I would rather assume, that those critics didn't somehow understand the content.

Although Heinz uses indeed a somehow strange german, but many rifle shooters did understand it, both in German and English...
abinok

Post by abinok »

I own both ways of the rifle 2009, and the Mec "air rifle" book. both are fantastic references, and while information dense, still fairly easy to read. If I were just focused on offhand air rifle, I would prefer the latter to the former. ways of the rifle covers offhand well, but devotes equal coverage to other positions.
Either way, buy with confidence.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

The MEC books are very readable in my opinion, and the illustrations are great. If people think that the translations are "hard" I would suggest trying out a book that at one time was considered a bit of a pinnacle of coaching, the book often known as the Russian Book by Yeryev (sorry about spelling) I had the American published translation some years ago, and although it was thorough it was hardly a "read"

Alan
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Would the fact that I also shoot smallbore metallic silhouette and offhand schutzen rifle make Way of the Rifle or MEC book more applicable? Thanks to everyone for your comments. Have a good day, Tom
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

David Tubb wrote a book on position shooting. While his approach to standing is quite different than everything else I have read, it does show you the many ways one can use to shoot better standing scores.