GE600 Evolution Stocked Rifle Testing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PRIMU

GE600 Evolution Stocked Rifle Testing

Post by PRIMU »

A test took place at Eley, UK recently which shows some interesting results.
Unusually, the complete stocked rifle which comprises a Bleiker Challenger, Lilja stainless barrel and a GE600 Evolution stock was tested in a recoil rest.
The first major production run should mean that GE600 stocks will be available by the end of the year. Dan Killough at Killough Shooting Sports has them on order.
For more info on this case study, please visit http://www.GE600.co.uk
Attachments
40 shot test of stocked rifle in recoil rest.jpg
PRIMU

Re: GE600 Evolution Stocked Rifle Testing

Post by PRIMU »

Just in case anyone was wondering, the consolidated score and group size shown in the target data is based on x 40 shots (which is the Eley protocol). The predicted score shown on the LHSof the data table represents what the likely total would be over x 60 shots. So, 639.48 effectively means an average shot of 10.65.
patriot

Post by patriot »

I don't see where they listed the test distance. 10 meters? :-) Must be hard to remove the burn marks on the target from the muzzle blast.

Mark
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

patriot wrote:I don't see where they listed the test distance. 10 meters? :-) Must be hard to remove the burn marks on the target from the muzzle blast.

Mark

Eley test at 50m, what's interesting is that it's from a recoiling rig. Normally it's barrelled action clamped in a vice.
patriot

Post by patriot »

remmy223 wrote: Eley test at 50m, what's interesting is that it's from a recoiling rig. Normally it's barrelled action clamped in a vice.
Testing outside the stock never made sense to me. The rifle is a system. Why would I want to buy ammo that's tuned to just a barreled action. If the ammo has a low SD and ES, then I use tuners to get it to shoot in several rifles.

Mark
Humpers

Post by Humpers »

patriot wrote:Eley test at 50m, what's interesting is that it's from a recoiling rig. Normally it's barrelled action clamped in a vice.
Has anyone got any photos of the type of recoiling rig Eley use, or any other such rig? I'm thinking about making something for use at our club.

I can find details of things like the Caldwell Lead Sled and Allen Recoil Reducer, but these clearly don't hold the rifle firmly enough for the sort of reliable accuracy testing I'm "aiming" for? And rests/vices made by Thune, ESP, Newt Engle/Angie Rest, Stopper Machine Rest, etc seem to hold the rifle solidly so as to prevent recoil.

Thanks,

Humpers
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

From memory the Thune and ESP, which are based on a Russian design, do allow the rifle to recoil being set on oiled bearings.
Humpers

Post by Humpers »

Tim S wrote:From memory the Thune and ESP, which are based on a Russian design, do allow the rifle to recoil being set on oiled bearings.
Thanks Tim. It's difficult to tell from the small pictures on their websites, so I'll see if Google can find me some better pics of those.