10.9 shooting mat(s)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rbs

10.9 shooting mat(s)

Post by rbs »

Looking for feedback on the shooting mats that 10.9 offers. They are priced attractively, but wondered about the construction, padding, rubber grip surface, material used. Currently using a Monard and have been very happy with it, but is it worth the difference in cost. Also would be interested in the smaller version to allow me to pack it in my gear bag.
Thanks
Rod
mbradley

Re: 10.9 shooting mat(s)

Post by mbradley »

I have one and like it. One nice thing is the zipper on the side lets you open it and dry it out if need be, or even change individual panels of padding. I periodically rotate the padding so I do not create a large dent where my left elbow contacts. The grip is good and the whole thing folds up easily.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I used a 10.9 mat for about a year. It's not a bad mat, probably one of the best for the money. The replaceable foam is great, as is the ability to open up the mat and air things out when they get wet. Construction was decent: not the best, but certainly adequate for the price point. The rubber is not Top Grip, but seems to do the job. Like mbradley, I appreciated the ability to add and move around padding.

After my gear was stolen, I switched to a Kurt Thune mat. So far I've been very happy, and feel that it was a worthwhile upgrade. Getting it in the gear bag when I fly is going to be tricky, to say the least, but I still think it was a worthy upgrade.

If you already have the Monard mat, I suspect that this would actually be a downgrade for you. You should know, too, that the junior-sized 10.9 mat is both smaller and less padded than the adult-size mat. That was a deal breaker for me, since at 6'1" with extra-long arms, I would not have been able to keep both elbows on the mat when I was shooting (I taped off a rectangle on my floor and checked.)

Good luck!
rbs

Post by rbs »

I agree, and ordered the smaller Monard. I have had such great luck with my current Monard mat that I decided not to change. I just wanted one that would fit into my gear bag, ordered the smaller version.
Thanks