Scatt vs Noptel vs Rika

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Valters23

Scatt vs Noptel vs Rika

Post by Valters23 »

Hello guys,

I am considering to buy one of the devices mentioned above (Scatt, Noptel, Rika).
What would be your advice and what kind of advantages and disadvantages each of the device has?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Valters
nglitz

Re: Scatt vs Noptel vs Rika

Post by nglitz »

I have a Rika. It's limited by the ancient software, which Rika seems to have no desire to update. The system itself works well, but you need to be able to run Windows XP at the newest to make it work. I'm running XP as a virtual machine under Windows 7 Pro. That's the newest system that you can do XP under. At least as far as I can tell.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Get a SCATT. They are the most common, very easy to use, and they have the most support. Every college I know uses SCATT, and most teams have multiple. And with the newest model not needing a frame down range, it's a game changer.
Matt
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have the Noptel, and I never had any issues with it. Easy to use and no wires downrange. I can not say that it is valuable to me though, I really don't know how to use it as a serious tool. I get data, but don't know what to do with it. If I had a coach or experience with the correlation between for example stance width and fliers to the left, it would be great. So long story short, for me the issue is not hardware, but lack of insight how to apply the tool. I wish MEC would write a book on electronic trainers.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have a RIKA and have also run into the obsolete OS problem.
Until the RIKA folks upgrade their software, I do NOT recommend it. Because you will forever have to either have an old XP machine just for the RIKA or be figuring how to run XP under your current OS. IOW a PiA problem that you should not have to deal with.

We are long past XP and they still have not upgraded the software.
This makes me think that they lost the source code or the developers to write it. Either way, not good.
Chris__Colorado

Post by Chris__Colorado »

Hi,

I have the NOPTEL Sport II. It is great.

However,
If I were to purchase one today, I'd get a SCATT MX-02.
Why?
Primarily because there is a much larger user base in the USA, especially in trying to understand the software when you have questions about the software or about the data it has captured on your shooting.

Both systems are "wireless" to the target.
The NOPTEL uses retroreflectors at the target. It is easy to make your own targets without having to buy NOPTEL branded items. Any Retroreflective tape or retroreflector prisms can be used.
The SCATT MX-02 uses a camera.

I was going to say the NOPTEL would likely work farther downrange with a large retroreflector array than the SCATT MX-02, but based upon this article:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... igh-power/
I'd say it's a wash, with an edge to the NOPTEL (if you have a good retroreflective array of prisms)

Distance to target is not really an issue for our 10m to 50m shooting.

I have access to two different SCATT versions (MX-02 and prior version), and my own NOPTEL.

My perception (could be wrong) is that there's a lot more help available if you have SCATT software questions compared to the NOPTEL software.
I believe SCATT is more popular in the USA because it was/is less expensive than the NOPTEL system.

It is my perception that both update their software regularly.
SCATT last update 7/29/2015
NOPTEL last update 5/25/2015

http://www.noptel.fi/eng2/sport/index.p ... 7_software
http://www.scatt.com/downloads/70/downloads/

I got a great deal on the NOPTEL (bought it used). In any case, for 10m, both are GREAT.

I also believe the current MX-02 sensor is lighter (36 grams on the specification sheet) than the NOPTEL Sport II (3.45 ounces/98 grams on my kitchen scale)

Hope this helps.

Chris