Anschutz 8001 velocity is way too low.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ranb

Anschutz 8001 velocity is way too low.

Post by Ranb »

I bought an Anschutz 8001 club air rifle a while back to use for practice and train small bore shooters at the local rifle range. I tested the velocity shortly after I bought it, 7 grain pellets are about 600 fps at the muzzle. It has about 7000 rounds through it so far. The only maintenance so far has been cleaning the barrel every 1000 rounds or so. The rifle is in excellent condition as far as I can tell.

Over the last month I'd noticed that the pellets were tearing the 10-meter target instead of punching a clean hole. Yesterday at the range I noticed that I needed to adjust elevation a fair amount when shooting. I shot the rifle over a chrony and it was only doing about 350 fps (107 mps).

Air pressure was good. I've used the scuba tank to fill other air rifle cylinders so I'm sure I don't have a low cylinder pressure problem. The bore is good. I can't feel any leaks from the action when it is fired. The bolt presses against the breech firmly, so I don't think it is leaking there. A local gunsmith (little air rifle experience) thinks I might need an o-ring replacement. The green o-ring on the brass fitting that mates to the air cylinder seems to be intact, but I can't remove it for inspection unless I obtain a special tool to keep another part from moving.

Anyone else have to deal with this problem? I'm not able to find anything on the net about it. Thanks.

Ranb
Andre

Re: Anschutz 8001 velocity is way too low.

Post by Andre »

Don't go to someone with "A little airgun experience", airguns are much more complex to rebuild than your inherited Benjamin Blue Streak. Setting the regulator pressure, using all the correct lubes, and in some cases specialty tools.

Anschutz guns are pretty simple, most likely a screw behind the hammer.

Manuals can be found here: http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

As Andre mentioned, it's probably better to send your 8001 to someone who knows Anschutz. Our gracious host (http://www.pilkguns.com/) or Joe Hein (http://eliteshootingsport.com/) would be my first two recommendations, assuming that you are in the US.
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

The gunsmith I referred to did not offer to repair it, just told me his opinion. I got a reply from Anschutz, they told me to contact http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/ which I have done.

Randy
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Ranb wrote:The gunsmith I referred to did not offer to repair it, just told me his opinion. I got a reply from Anschutz, they told me to contact http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/ which I have done.

Randy
Well over on RFC you have already had the MD of Anschutz North America tell you to use Joe Hien, so thats what I would do.

Alan
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

Joe got the rifle today. I'll call later in the week to see what he has to say.

Randy
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Ranb wrote:Joe got the rifle today. I'll call later in the week to see what he has to say.

Randy
If I know Joe he's got it fixed already. Great service.
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

I talked to Joe on the 8th, he said he would look at it soon.

Randy
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I know he was shooting the LR matches at Perry (and possibly other things, not sure), so he may be a bit behind at the moment. He's always been incredibly helpful, even returning some of my emails while he was at a match in between strings. But I know that waiting is the hardest part!
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

Anyone know where I can buy the pin used to connect the intermediate arm to the bolt? Joe says it's not in the package I sent. I don't see them for sale on Gunbroker, Champion's Choice or at the Anschutz website. Thanks.

Randy
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

I got my rifle back, it shoots great. There was debris on the regulator o-ring which probably compromised performance. It was about $154 for an inspection, an o-ring kit installed, a new bolt pin/clip and shipping. The pin I got from Pilkguns was the wrong size but Joe was able to get one from Anschutz in Germany. Maybe the part number on the drawing I referenced to them was out of date.

I'll be checking velocity every few thousand pellets in the future.

Ranb