Scatt Trigger sensor

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Peter_Scant

Scatt Trigger sensor

Post by Peter_Scant »

Hi All,
I wondering if the cost of adding the trigger sensor to a scatt is worth the additional information it gives?

Appreciate you thoughts!
John Marchant

Re: Scatt Trigger sensor

Post by John Marchant »

Be aware that adding the sensor is going to alter the angle and position of your trigger finger, unless you make an adjustment to the position of the trigger shoe, which in some cases may then also alter the amount of the trigger release pressure.
However I am sure that you will gain a considerable amount of extra data which you will be able to interpret and improve your triggering action.
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

My initial response is that no, it would not be worth it. A lot of information can be gleaned from a SCATT trace regarding triggering just based on the trace pattern. For example, if the hold is very good up until the moment of the shot, but at the last fraction of a second it pulls off slightly and the shot ends up being slightly off from where the center of the hold was, then it is reasonable to assume there is a triggering issue. One of the columns where the score data shows up is actually a value that indicated the distance from the center of the hold area to the center of the actual shot placement--a good training technique to improve triggering would be to watch that value from shot to shot as well as looking closely at the last second of the trace. If that distance is small and the shot is right on top of the group, triggering is probably not much of an issue. Additionally, have another person watch the shooter's finger as they are shooting. Ideally, the observer should barely be able to see any movement of the finger at the time the shot goes off.

Given the many ways to evaluate and improve triggering and execution, it certainly isn't necessary and I can't say it would be worth it to get the sensor, but that being said, if it isn't a financial burden and you are really interested in seeing what it looks like, I guess you can.

Happy shooting!

Ryan
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

Thanks John for the advice.

Ryan, I was having similar thoughts as you which is why I posted the question. If there's no discernible change in the trace pattern when the shot is released then I'd see that as there are no problems with the triggering action. If the shot then lands away from the center of hold area I'd see that as a shot release timing issue.

Given these two items I was having difficulty in identifying the value of the additional information.