Attaching Rear Sight To Dovetail (Rookie Question)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Macbud

Attaching Rear Sight To Dovetail (Rookie Question)

Post by Macbud »

Good Evening,

I am very new to this website along with air/smallbore. I am just starting out and recently bought myself an FWB 300s from another member here by the name of skywagon. Let me just note he is a great person to do a transaction with. Anyways, since I have just acquired this air rifle, I am having trouble attaching the rear sight to the dovetail. Is that rear sight crossbar axle that my pointer is pointing to in the first picture supposed to contact the large grooves in the dovetail receiver or the small grooves? Or is it maybe supposed to contact a smooth portion of the dovetail? I thought it would contact the large grooves but when I do, it has so much play that I have a feeling it doesn't belong there. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for such a rookie question.

Andre

Re: Attaching Rear Sight To Dovetail (Rookie Question)

Post by Andre »

Large grooves. Small grooves are just for positioning reference.
Macbud

Post by Macbud »

How hard am I supposed to crank that screw in? If I turn it as hard as I can with my hand, there is about 3mm of play forward to backward. Am I supposed to torque it down that much more for it to catch on the large grooves?
peashooter

Post by peashooter »

I recall having the same issue. Just cranked it up very tight with a big screwdriver. The pin must locate in the large grooves.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Is there a relief cut in the crosspin? If so, make sure it's pointing down when you slide the sight onto the rails. If not, you may need to remove it from the sight and slide it back on when it's positioned where you want it.

Jason
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

macbud,

The fine lines/grooves show approximately where the front of the diopter sight rail will be when the cross-pin is in one of the 'deep' grooves.

For my 300, to fit the sight I had to slacken off the larger 'hand nut' almost all the way, then unscrew the cross-pin screw quite a ways - the sight could then could be slid onto the dovetail.

Tighten up the cross-pin, then the 'hand nut', and all should be good to go.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ