Whats your favorite NRA smallbore sling?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Whats your favorite NRA smallbore sling?

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm still using a basic narrow cloth sling from the CMP with my CZ 452. Next year I'm gonna step up to a match rifle and need to find a better sling. I still have a couple matches left this year which I wouldn't mind having a nicer sling for. I'm a lefty so I need one that is ambi or has a lefty option.
zanemoseley

Re: Whats your favorite NRA smallbore sling?

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm also curious about people's opinions on cuff style slings versus standard slings. Does the cuff reduce heartbeat even more?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Personally I prefer slings made of synthetic material (usually nylon cloth embedded is some sort of plastic) as I had issues with an old leather sling stretching in position when I was a beginner. However others do well with leather slings; pre-stretching a new leather sling by hanging a weight from it before use can lessen stretching in old age.

As a beginner I would recemmend a fairly simple sling. The fancy micro-adjustable pulse-free slings like the MEC aren't justifiable for a good while in my opinion. I don't have any experience with US-made slings like the Jensen. However I do think that close-spaced holes are beneficial, so you can get the sling the right length easily. It's also important that the buckles don't allow any stretch too; I've seen some old self-centring slings elongate as the tension pulls the cuff from an o to a 0 around the arm.

I often recommend a British made plastic sling , but that may not be much use to you. Kurt Thune slings are good, and very durable, if a bit pricey.

As for pulse, what pulse-free slings do generally is to ensure the sling pulls against the back of your arm, which reduces pressure on the artery that runs down the inside of the arm. You can do this with a conventional sling too by turning it round the arm. Finding the right spot up your arm for the sling to sit, not tightening it too much around the arm (leave space for at least three fingers at the front), and wearing enough padding under the jacket also help deal with pulse
patriot

Post by patriot »

zanemoseley wrote:I'm also curious about people's opinions on cuff style slings versus standard slings. Does the cuff reduce heartbeat even more?
It does for me. I like the Creedmoor Deluxe Competition Rifle Sling with the full cuff.

Mark
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use an Anschutz Constant sling, and I like it. It is very simple and hard to mess up, but I think they discontinued it a while ago. If I had to get a new sling I would probably get a Hata sling. I borrowed one at a match once, and shot very well with it. Hata slings are also made in the US which is a plus!
Matt
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I'm with Matt on the Hata sling; they're made by Yuji Hata, a shooter in Hawaii. They're half the price of any of the European slings, and made as well or better.

http://www.hataservices.com/precision-- ... lings.html
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

I use a Sauer Contact III Sling. I used the wide cuff sling for a short period, but disliked it.

I picked up the Sauer used on an auction site for around $60. It's a synthetic sling, so it doesn't stretch, and it's quite strong. It too has an adjuster near the middle of the two bands, for micro-adjusting while in position. I would offer that it doesn't 'eliminate' my pulse beat, rather it changed it.

My pulse used to beat in an arc from about 6 o'clock, to 11 o'clock. With the sling adjusted, it's more of a 9-3 beat, and much smaller movements. YMMV.

Good luck!
-tc
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I use a Hata Sling, I barely have a pulse while shooting. its more important to have a stable position, the sling is user preference. but that is just my opinion. Also i would suggest staying away from full cuff slings as they are not ISSF legal, that may not be a concern now but it would be another expense later down the road as you advance.

Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

mtncwru wrote:I'm with Matt on the Hata sling; they're made by Yuji Hata, a shooter in Hawaii. They're half the price of any of the European slings, and made as well or better.

http://www.hataservices.com/precision-- ... lings.html
I myself also use a Hata sling and this sling, by far, has the best price to performance ratio and can highly recommend it. His equipment is seen at practically every match here in Hawaii. If you happen to have short forearms, you can request an XS (which is not listed on the site). I've known him personally for quite some time and he's a very nice person, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you with anything.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Sounds like its hard to go wrong with a Hata for my first good sling. Thanks for all the good input.
Macbud

Post by Macbud »

Looks like I will have to buy Hata for my first sling as well. Do you guys prefer the synthetic or hybrid sling from Hata?
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I have not tried or seen the hybrid, only the synthetic.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my hybrid sling; I actually use the sporter version of the hybrid sling(i shot sporter in high school) but also have used the hybrid sling for NRA 4-P small-bore as well, with fantastic results(i can send a link to my results with the sling if interested). It will be a personal preference issue for most, but for me, i prefer the hybrid sling over the synthetic, but both are excellent choices.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I sent tham an email to see if they would post a sling to Australia as they look good at a good price but no reply
rbs

Post by rbs »

Ordered and quickly received the Hata synthetic sling. Very impressed with the quality and service, looks like a Thune.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I wonder what colors that synthetic material is made in? Not sure if its just me but I don't find the green appealing at all, I guess I'm a leather kind of guy.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Is the Hata legal for CMP 22 rimfire sporter? The company said it was approved for air rifle; they weren't certain about rimfire.

Mark