Anschütz 1813 L buttplate question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gas_gunner

Anschütz 1813 L buttplate question

Post by gas_gunner »

I have an Anschütz 1813L with this type of buttplate on it. I found the picture in a Google Image Search:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ans-r1.JPG

I have to apologize for linking to a rifle that is not mine. I believe the person that had this rifle and posted it might be one of our readers, and near to where I am. My question is this. Should there be two, or more than two fasteners that clamp the silver and black plates together? Mine has two, and it works, but there are openings (unused) that would fit two more (I think) fasteners. If it is missing some, I would like to get the ones that are supposed to be there, even though two alone keep it secure.

Thanks for any help,

Danny
mtncwru

Re: Anschütz 1813 L buttplate question

Post by mtncwru »

Assuming that you're talking about the screws that the blue arrow is pointing to, no, there should only be two. The second set of holes are so you can swap the pair of screws to the other side, depending on which direction you need to tilt or slide the buttplate.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

YES!

Those are the ones I was talking about. The explaination really helps clear things up, too!

Danny
mtncwru wrote:Image

Assuming that you're talking about the screws that the blue arrow is pointing to, no, there should only be two. The second set of holes are so you can swap the pair of screws to the other side, depending on which direction you need to tilt or slide the buttplate.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

With that cleared up, I find that the stock is slightly long for me. I have briefly shouldered one of the 1918L Aluminum Precise Stocks at the National Matches. It SEEMS that tbe length of pull is shorter on this rifle than on mine. Shorter would probably help me. Can anyone confirm or rule that out? Is there any chance that the buttplate assembly on that rifle would be shorter from front to back? If it were, I could probably retrofit that assembly on mine. I think that they install on the rifle in the same manner.

Thanks,.
Danny
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

1.) Is the Precise LOP shorter than the 1813?
--Yes, I believe so, though I no longer have my 1813 to measure and confirm.

2.) Is there any chance that the buttplate assembly on that rifle would be shorter from front to back?
--Not sure what you mean by "buttplate assembly." If you're talking about the horizontal columns that go into the stock (which I suspect that you are), it doesn't matter because they aren't cross compatible between the stocks. You can likely swap the actual buttplates themselves, since, IIRC, the vertical post they mount to is the same.

If you like the Precise stock, I would just swap them out entirely, buttplate and all. You should be able to find someone to buy your 1813L off of you, and that buttplate tends to be one of the more popular ones with the prone crowd.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

Thanks,
My terminology is incorrect. I am not as familiar with smallbore rifle parts, so I struggle with the proper names. It is as frustrating for me as it is for you. I meant "buttplate" when I used "buttplate assembly". I was pretty sure that the buttplate was backward compatible with the vertical post that holds the buttplate. Thanks for helping me with the terms. I am primarily a Long Range Highpower Service Rifle Competitor.

Danny
mtncwru wrote:1.) Is the Precise LOP shorter than the 1813?

2.) Is there any chance that the buttplate assembly on that rifle would be shorter from front to back?
--Not sure what you mean by "buttplate assembly." If you're talking about the horizontal columns that go into the stock (which I suspect that you are), it doesn't matter because they aren't cross compatible between the stocks. You can likely swap the actual buttplates themselves, since, IIRC, the vertical post they mount to is the same.

If you like the Precise stock, I would just swap them out entirely, buttplate and all. You should be able to find someone to buy your 1813L off of you, and that buttplate tends to be one of the more popular ones with the prone crowd.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

Are you saying that my buttplate, the one on my 1813L is popular with prone shooters, or the newer precise buttplate?

Danny
mtncwru wrote:1.) Is the Precise LOP shorter than the 1813?

mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

The older one seems to be more popular. Popular enough that Anschutz started making it again, even; check out the Anschutz "Retro" when you have a chance. Should look fairly familiar.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

mtncwru wrote:The older one seems to be more popular. Popular enough that Anschutz started making it again, even; check out the Anschutz "Retro" when you have a chance. Should look fairly familiar.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Danny
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

gas_gunner wrote:
mtncwru wrote:The older one seems to be more popular. Popular enough that Anschutz started making it again, even; check out the Anschutz "Retro" when you have a chance. Should look fairly familiar.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Danny
I might have to reconsider keeping it then. My only problem is that with the length, even at minimum, I have to break my elbow off of the mat, or I have to hold position, then push my body and rifle towards my loading hand, slightly rolling the rifle to lower the ejection port. I watched this video listed in one of the posts. I saw Sergei Martynov do the pushing movement I describe above, in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKePGNWGDT0

He does that move at about 22 seconds in, and since he does the same, maybe it is not a bad thing that I am doing.

Danny
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

gas_gunner wrote: My only problem is that with the length, even at minimum, I have to break my elbow off of the mat.

Danny
That's perfectly normal with an Anschutz. The bolt is relatively long, so even tall shooters lift their trigger elbow to load. There was a recent thread on the topic. See here:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49404

If the butt is too long for you to achieve a stable but relaxed position that's a different matter.

Martynov has an unconventional loading technique because his whole position is unconventional. I doubt that he can reach to load normally, so he has to make do by pushing and tipping, and chambering the round with the bolt rather than a finger.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Just in case anyone is looking for that Retro Anschutz Buttplate, Champions Choice has them. Quite pricey, almost $400. Not exactly the same as the original. The new one only appears to have 2 adjustment screws while the original has quite a few.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... item=A4762

The original stocks with that buttplate are quite sought after and expensive. Within the past few months saw one go for $1400 on Ebay or Gunbroker, can't remember which. The original buttplate will fit earlier 1813 and earlier stocks but you'll notice how the plate wider and shorter and doesn't match perfectly. Too bad Anschutz doesn't come out with the late model 1813 and early 1913 stocks. Seems people really want those, including myself.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

matchguy wrote:Just in case anyone is looking for that Retro Anschutz Buttplate, Champions Choice has them. Quite pricey, almost $400. Not exactly the same as the original. The new one only appears to have 2 adjustment screws while the original has quite a few.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... item=A4762

The original stocks with that buttplate are quite sought after and expensive. Within the past few months saw one go for $1400 on Ebay or Gunbroker, can't remember which. The original buttplate will fit earlier 1813 and earlier stocks but you'll notice how the plate wider and shorter and doesn't match perfectly. Too bad Anschutz doesn't come out with the late model 1813 and early 1913 stocks. Seems people really want those, including myself.
Having seen the new ones pictured, my thoughts were that the new version with less screws is probably a great upgrade, eliminating the one bad feature of that buttplate.

I am thinking that the original version might be scarce, causing part of the price premium for those stocks. Certainly, if they are not rare, it seems difficult to find those on 1813 Rifles like mine. It seems that whenever I see an 1813, nearly always the buttplate is the prior version wth the fixed hook. On early 1913s, while not common, it seems, I am thinking, that they cam be more readilly found. That is just my best guess, based on what I see. That could in reality be completely incorrect.

Danny
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

That's normal. The 1813 was originally made with the older hook butt. Anschutz didn't fit the 4760 butt until about halfway through production, 1983-84. The 4760 was standard on 1913s until about 1998, so you will see more. Remember that for several years 1913 stocks were identical to later 1813 stocks.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Late 1813 and early 1913 rifles and stocks are nearly impossible to find. I have searches set on the major gun auction sites for 5 years now and have only seen a couple in that time. The early 1913's have that hinge to flip up the cheek. I have yet to see one of those for sale, stock or entire rifle. We see them on competitors rifles but not for sale. When we see an 1813 for sale with the 4760 butt it's usually really beat up.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

Mine is a 1983, which agrees with the posts above. I may have narrowed it down further in '83, but I am now not certain. What I am not sure of is the progression to stocks with the ventilation holes in the forearm. Mine has none. I know that the stocks on 1913s with the 4760 I have seen do have the holes. What I don't know is if any 1913s with the 4760 came with no holes, of if the 1813s with 4760 transitioned to stocks with holes in the forearm.

Danny
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Danny,

the vents in the fore-end first appeared on 1813 rifles. From memory some of the first to feature both vents and the 4760 butt were the limited edition "84 Olympic" 1813s commemorating the Los Angeles Games. Early 1913 stocks differed only from later 1813 stocks in the catalogue number.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

There's codes on the barrel to tell what year it is, if it's the original barreled action to the stock.
0=A; 1=B; 2=C; 3=D, 4=E; 5=F; 6=G; 7=H; 8=I/J; 9=K
so ID would be 83. The 82 super match had the old crescent type butt plate. Don't know when the 4760 started.
Also note if the aluminum spacer of the 4760 with the hash marks on it isn't the same size as the steel butt part that goes in and out, it's not the original butt plate that came with the stock. The earlier 1813 stocks are a bit higher.

Here's a pic of an early 1913 stock with the 4760 butt and hinge type cheek
Attachments
gb1913 3.jpg
gb1913 3.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

My 84 proofed 1813 has the Armadillo hook and plain forend. I bought it "new" in 87 but it had been sitting on the dealers shelf for rather a while. He was actually very happy to get rid of it, as he mostly sold shotguns, so I got a very good deal, about £350 off the then current retail. I kind of remember that the slots in the forend came in at about the time I was getting that rifle, which was in early 87, as my now Ex bought it for me as a wedding present. Turns out that Anschutz was a much better proposition than she was in the long run. IIRC the hinged cheek piece was introduced at the same time as the 20 series action.

Alan
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

matchguy wrote:Late 1813 and early 1913 rifles and stocks are nearly impossible to find. I have searches set on the major gun auction sites for 5 years now and have only seen a couple in that time. The early 1913's have that hinge to flip up the cheek. I have yet to see one of those for sale, stock or entire rifle. We see them on competitors rifles but not for sale. When we see an 1813 for sale with the 4760 butt it's usually really beat up.
Mine is an 83 by the code supplied. I had checked it earlier, but did not remember if the code gave more info. Mine may or may not qualify as beat up. It is certainly not minty. As mentioned before, mine has the walnut stock with no forearm vents and 4760 buttplate. By the criteria in this thread, the buttplate is original to the stock, and the stock seems appropriate to the code supplied for date, so I would call it the original stock.

Now, I shoot with a guy that also has a left hand Anschütz (mine is an 1813L). His is a 2013. His has the similar Walnut stock as mine, but with one of the post 4760 buttplates, the ANSCHÜTZ "billboard" and vents on the side of the forearm, and tbe hinged cheekpiece.

This is an interesting thread. I learned a lot more than I had suspected I would.

Danny