Scatt analysis

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazilian_Shooter

Scatt analysis

Post by Brazilian_Shooter »

Hi Guys!!

What do you think when you see this graphic ? What can I do to improve my play?

I'll be very gratefull for you help.

Andre

Re: Scatt analysis

Post by Andre »

I can't help you, I am not a coach. However I would think the coaches and more knowledgeable folks out there who are able to help might need to know more information.
Air rifle? Smallbore? Position? Even possibly a pic of your position.
Brazilian_Shooter

Andre wrote:I can't help you, I am not a coach. However I would think the coaches and more knowledgeable folks out there who are able to help might need to know more information.
Air rifle? Smallbore? Position? Even possibly a pic of your position.
hi Andre, you're right.

I shoot air rifle in standing position.

This graphic is a trainning with 60 shots and I use a FWB P700 .

I'II take a pic to put here.

thanks a lot.
Brazilian_Shooter

The scatt's graphic shows the last second before the shot.

Apparently all is well, but tenths of seconds before the end of the firing process, everything is terrible.
mmajora

Post by mmajora »

Post a scatt file.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I haven't done any work with rifle shooters but this is an extremely common graph with pistol shooters.

With an average reaction time being around 0.25 seconds it would be indicative of the shooter recognising the optimum sight picture and then consciously firing the shot.

Something during that final firing process, whether it be a bad trigger action, change of muscle tension or grip pressure, ill-fitting gun, or something similar, is moving the gun.

Of the many pistol shooters I worked with (in the late 1990s) I can only think of a handful who didn't have this graph. I remain convinced that these were the truly "sub-concious" shooters. They were also, not un-naturally, the more successful shooters.

This might have no relevance to rifle shooting, but I suspect that it might.
Brazilian_Shooter

Thank David for sharing your experience. I really believe that the problem is in the trigger release, so today I adjusted the trigger weight to 60 grams in a single stage. I will train on a white target and test it.
cmj

Post by cmj »

This is a typical graph. What happens is you see the optimum target picture and then you start thinking about pulling the trigger. The brain can't do both at the same time. you either think about pulling the trigger or you think about getting the sight alignment. The trick is to get the subconscious to pull the trigger while the conscious mind is focused on the sight picture. Very few accomplish that feat. Nothing wrong with the equipment. is all in the mind.
Brazilian_Shooter

I am very grateful to the return I have had here. I will study this question more and try to improve. Thank you friends.
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

Yeah I will agree with what a few others have posted: that dip in the last 0.2s can be improved through better execution AND followthrough. Ideally the only mental process you want to have going on is focusing on the center of the target--the triggering should take care of itself. In practice, work on consciously thinking about just a smooth trigger pull and do it over and over again, even without aiming at a target so that your finger and brain get the feeling engrained. Then when you move to the target, only consciously focus on the center of the target and your hold.

I would say to be wary about reducing your trigger weight that low; ideally you should have it more in the 90-100g range, otherwise it gets so light that you are apprehensive about putting your finger on it. You want to be able to put some pressure on it and feel confident that it won't go off on its own. It isn't the heavier weight of the trigger that you had before that is causing the problem, it is your conscious activation of the mechanism. In theory, you should be able to have a perfect SCATT graph with a trigger that is 500g...

Good luck!
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ