prep period and change over

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

prep period and change over

Post by Ltdave »

Hanging paper targets, by position only, how much time is allowed for prep period before the start of the next "stage"?

This is for an NRA Metric USA Shooting tournament...

The NRA rule book says a minimum of 3 minutes and then it says 5 minutes...

I want to have my juniors practice under match conditions but I never paid that close of attention...
Pat McCoy

Re: prep period and change over

Post by Pat McCoy »

10.3.1 Preparation Period -(The preparation period will begin
only after the shooters have been given time to bring their rifl es to the line.)
In all cases competitors will be allowed a minimum of three minutes to take
their places at their fi ring points and prepare to fi re at the
beginning of each match, after the fi ring point has been cleared by the
preceding competitor. The ECI may be removed and dry fi ring s
hall be permitted during this period. In all cases before the second
stage of a two-stage match there will be a preparation period of a minimum
of one minute. A three minute preparation period will be given after
a range change.

Range Officials may allow a reasonable period of time (5 minutes)
for equipment set-up before the beginning of the three minute prepara-
tion period.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Ltdave wrote:Hanging paper targets, by position only, how much time is allowed for prep period before the start of the next "stage"?

This is for an NRA Metric USA Shooting tournament...

The NRA rule book says a minimum of 3 minutes and then it says 5 minutes...

I want to have my juniors practice under match conditions but I never paid that close of attention...
I'm confused:

Which body is sanctioning the match, NRA? or USA Shooting?
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

sorry this is an NRA match...
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

From the NRA Smallbore Rile Rules, January 2014 Edition:

8.2 Time Allowance
(a) Indoor Conventional Matches (A-17 target or its equivalent). One minute per record shot prone, sitting and kneeling. 1 1⁄2 minutes per shot standing.
(b) Outdoor Conventional Prone, Metric Prone and Position matches. One minute per record shot prone and 1 1⁄2 minutes per record shot for Sitting, Kneeling, and Standing positions will be allowed.
(c) Indoor and Outdoor NRA Metric Position Course Matches. One minute per record shot for prone and 1 1⁄2 minutes per record shot for kneeling and 2 minutes per record shot for the standing positions will be allowed.

The competitor will be allowed a minimum of an additional 5 minutes for each position change in a stage or match. Additional time will be allowed for a target change if needed. In matches at more than one range or stage when firing must cease to change targets or stages, time may not be accumulated at one range or stage and used at another range or stage. Time for each range or stage will be allotted separately.

My take on this would be:

Metric 3x20:

Initial prep period is 5 minutes, followed by a target change period (for paper targets), followed by a 5 minute equipment change over. In prone only, the prep periods are 3/1 minutes (for a two target/stage match, you get 5 additional minutes if there is a distance change).

Metric 3x40:
Follow the prescribed time limits for the stages, but the prep periods are:

5 minutes for the initial stage, and after they return from changing targets for second stage, a 5 minute prep period. Wash, rinse, repeat for each position change.

With paper targets, I'm not certain that there is a defined time limit for the actual target changing period - just the equipment changeover ( scope stand, sight blocks, butt plates, etc). The match directors I've spoken to always allowed 'a reasonable amount of time' for this (their words), and if it looked like someone was goofing off at the impact line, they simply announced 'Shooters to the line' and waited for them to scramble back to their firing point.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Per the rule I posted earlier. the "prep period" (may handle rifles and dry fire) is limited to three minutes BUT after a reasonalbe time of up to five minutes for "changeover". The range officer needs to use his head, and allow more change time if there is a problem. Never had a complaint when doing so.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

so does this sound reasonable?

shooters hang prone targets and return to the ready line.

shooters move their gear to the firing line (3 minutes to do so).

shooters have 5 minutes preparation time.

shooters fire until expiration of allotted time.

shooters retrieve and hang new targets.

shooters have 5 minutes for change over.

shooters get 5 minutes preparation time.

repeat...
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Sounds fairly reasonable.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Be flexible with the changeover times (try for 5 minutes, but sometimes "Stuff happens"), and keep the "Prep period" at the 3 minutes allowed in the rules.

I always had my kids stay on the line when completing a position, and begin their 'changeover" then (adjust buttplate, fore-end stop, etc). They need tp practice this before the match, so they stay in their own space, and have everything they need (tools) with them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good thinking! It's real life.