Recommendation for Freeland Offhand Stand.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

zanemoseley

Recommendation for Freeland Offhand Stand.

Post by zanemoseley »

Not that its probably a secret but I wanted to throw out a recommendation for the Freeland offhand stand. I just got it today from Champion's Shooter Supply and am very pleased with the construction. I decided to spend the extra $40 or so over the Champions Choice aluminum stand since I figured this stand would darn near outlast me and I'm glad I did. Working for a US manufacturer myself its nice to see a high quality piece made fully in the US at a reasonable (not cheap) price. I'm a sucker for steel and lots of it and this stand delivers, tons of cast iron and heavy duty steel rod. Even the oak bullet tray has a nice cast iron frame. If I could point out a negative there are some areas I could see you could strip some threads if you put some Hulk strength into it. The platform on top is made from 3/4" thick black HDPE plastic that is threaded to accept the steel rod, I know this material is high quality (and expensive) as we use some at work but if they wanted to really go all out they could have made a cast iron platform with metal threads and some type of wood or hdpe platform atop that. Looking forward to giving her a go.
patriot

Re: Recommendation for Freeland Offhand Stand.

Post by patriot »

The tripod and tray base are cast iron or high grade aluminum? At one point Carl tried aluminum for the rods as an option to save weight, but the stainless won out.
zanemoseley

Re: Recommendation for Freeland Offhand Stand.

Post by zanemoseley »

Sure felt like cast iron to me.